fb

100 for 100?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions 100 for 100?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Violet
    @pookiemonster

Just wanted to know if anyone else on here is taking part in the 100-for-100 challenge hosted by Goteenwriters.

I probably should have posted this before the challenge started, but hey, hindsight is 20/20.Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―

Anyways, today is day 5 of the challenge and I wanted to see how many are participating. Mainly for the purpose of sharing what we’re working on, doing group writing sessions occasionally, and keeping each other motivated to finish.

So anyone out there? πŸ€”

Just remember to... Trust in God, Stay Safe, and Eat Doughnuts 🍩🍩

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I’m participating! I’m plotting a sci-fi novel. Hopefully I’ll start drafting by the time the challenge ends, but we’ll see how things go; I’m trying to take this project slow and ease back into writing after almost three years of editing and publishing prep, lol. (Those three years are finally finishing up when my fantasy novel releases a week from today!)

What are you working on?

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literature.

Violet
    @pookiemonster

@r-m-archer

Wow! πŸŽ‰That must be so exciting! Hey do you have any promotional images for your book, because if you don’t mind I could share it on my social?

I however, have never finished anything, lol. I get to distracted by shiny new ideas. Which leads to what i’m currently doing which is discovery writing my way through an epic-fantsy duology. This one is particularly rife with war, trauma, unpredictable magic, and grief. πŸ™‚

What type of sci-fi are you writing?

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I do! I have a whole folder here. Thanks for asking! What’s your social media handle? I’d be happy to follow you. ^-^

I know that feeling, lol. I’ve gotten a lot better about it over the years, but I definitely jumped around quite a bit before settling on this next project. XD Your duology sounds neat! Discovery writing is a lot of fun. What’s the magic system like in your world?

It’s Earth-based (i.e. no space travel) with futuristic tech, genetic alteration used to create superhumans, and a lot of political and corporate corruption. This particular story has a lot of focus on exposing truth (on an individual level as well as a larger scale) and on healing and redemption. πŸ™‚

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literature.

Violet
    @pookiemonster

@r-m-archerΒ  Β Good, I’ll tag you in it.πŸ˜ƒ

Hmmm, my magic system is more nature-based. Do you know how the stereotypical superhero backstory has them falling into a vat of toxic waste, but instead of dying, they get superpowers? Well, in mine there’s a certain mineral that has toxic properties, some who come in contact with it become ill, develop minor mutations, or die, while others seem to gain otherworldly powers or abilities. There are those, especially among the poor, that take the risk because the crown puts those who gain abilities to work, sometimes in the palace itself.

I don’t know why, but your description made me think of a sci-fi version of Elantris; which is an amazing book, and if you haven’t read it I would highly recommend it. I really like books that delve into the political intrigue of the world.

Do you have a particular plotting method you’re using or is it more of a skeleton draft plotting?

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Ooh, neat! That reminds me a little of the way kryptonite works in the old Smallville show. Throwing in that bit of political/social intrigue is really cool! I love how you’ve integrated those elements with one another. πŸ™‚

Interesting! I haven’t read Elantris yet, but having read the first two Mistborn novels I’m definitely interested in reading more of Sanderson’s work. (Starting with the third Mistborn novel, ideally, but my library is sadly lacking that particular installment. :P)

I guess it’s sort of a skeleton draft. For now I’m just jotting down whatever pieces come to mind and saving them to fit together later, not doing too much work to fight things into place or brainstorm big solutions. After that, the plan is to outline chapter-by-chapter with descriptions of what basically needs to happen in each scene and all the motivations and details I want to remember when I write. I tend to be pretty specific and yet loose with my outlines at the same time. XD

Violet
    @pookiemonster

I’ve never watched the Smallville show, not a big Marvel fan. Is it any good?

That’s funny because I haven’t read Mistborn yet.Β  I hate it when the library only has part of a series. I started reading the X-Wing series only to find my library just had the first and eighth books.🀦

That’s actually pretty smart and if you don’t mind, I think I’ll follow that example. I get caught up with making sure things fit perfectly together. Well that, plus I never seem to stop world-building.πŸ™ƒ

If you ever want to do a writing session together, just let me know. It’s ok if you don’t.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Smallville is DC, not Marvel, but it’s pretty good! I watched the whole series and enjoyed it.

I was advised to start with either Mistborn or Elantris and Mistborn caught my eye more readily so I went with that. XD That is super annoying. πŸ˜› It’s worst when they have apparently random books from a series with books missing in between, as opposed to just not having the remainder of a series after a certain point. πŸ˜›

Go for it! I hope it works out for you. πŸ™‚ Ah, yes, worldbuilding can be addictive. My best advice for that is to focus on what’s necessary for your story and jot down anything else to work on later. There’s nothing wrong with fleshing out a world for a long time, as long as you do it in such a way that the worldbuilding process isn’t hindering the writing process. Worldbuilding should be fun, but it should also serve your story first. (Unless you’re worldbuilding just to worldbuild, which is a different scenario.)

Violet
    @pookiemonster

Haha, see I can’t even tell the difference. All I know is that Batman is DC and the old versions were the best.

True, true, I’m just a world-building junkie πŸ˜†

πŸŽ‰Your book launch tomorrow! πŸ’Β  Good luck, and let me know if there’s anything I can do.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

There are a lot of characters in each, so I can’t really blame you. XD Older superhero versions are often best, lol. Though I’ve had some surprises recently with newer superhero media.

So am I, so I definitely understand. XD

Aw, thank you! I really appreciate your sharing the infographic to your story. ^-^ Honestly, just sharing stuff is awesome since it helps other readers discover my work, so thank you!

Violet
    @pookiemonster

@r-m-archer

Oh my mashed potatoes, I thought I had replied days ago! Apparently, I only replied in my head; or just never clicked send. 🀦

Anyways……

I was more than happy to share about your launch. How did it go?

How are you doing on your 100-for-100?

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@pookiemonster

No worries. I’ve done that before. XD

It’s gone pretty well so far! The paperback delay was frustrating (I still don’t have my copies; Amazon is taking forever), but no one has seemed too upset about it or anything. XD And it gave me an excuse to do more with the shop on my site, which is a long-term plus. The book seems to be blessing the readers it’s reached, which is the main thing. πŸ™‚

I’m doing all right! I used up my grace week in week two, but I’ve managed to keep up since so I’m still in the running. I do feel like I’m losing some steam on my outline, but I can usually find at least one character interesting enough to work on developing each day. Yesterday I wrote up a summary for the story to go in my newsletter, so I counted that since it’s more pre-writing, lol.

How’s it going with you?

Violet
    @pookiemonster

OK!!Β  This time I know I had responded! It just didn’t send?

From now on I’ll watch this post like a bluebird watches her neighbors’ nest! No mistakes!

*deep breath* ….Anyways.

I’ve heard of a lot of people who are having trouble with amazon shipping right now. People are usually pretty understanding about these things.

Hey, if you need help brainstorming help just let me know.

I’m pretty sure that any writing relating to your story goes, so a summary totally counts.

I’ve been babysitting for the past two days so my writing has been pretty sub-par. Hoping to writing something a little higher quality today. So far I’ve only taken one grace day because I was cooking literally all day.

I’ve decided to add another character for pov sake and now I have a main cast of seven, but only three have a pov. I know I should probably combine some character roles but this is the “dumb draft” so for now I’m rolling with it.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

That’s frustrating! I’ve known the forum to eat posts with links in them, but it’s extra annoying when there’s not even an apparent rhyme or reason to the post-eating. πŸ˜›

They are, which I appreciate. ;P It’s shifting the schedule on a spoilery Q&A I was going to do, too, but that’s actually going to be a good thing I think since it was originally scheduled for a weekend that I’d now really like to go out of town for, lol. So adjusting the Q&A date to give readers more time after the paperback delay is something of a win-win, despite the overall frustration of things not going according to plan/15 readers not getting their books until weeks after the release. πŸ˜›

Will do. πŸ™‚ Yeah, I’ve been counting all of my pre-writing: character sheets, my outline, that summary… I think the disjointed scene I wrote was prior to the 100-for-100, but it would have been counted too. I’m trying to give myself freedom to count whatever I do so I reward any effort to get back into actual writing. XD

Ooh, nice! The first week is the only week I haven’t taken a grace day, lol. I’ve needed to take it slower than I might like. But progress is progress! The story is getting outlined, slow though the process may be. I hope your writing goes well today!

Nice! My project has about six main characters and four POVs (one of which I’m waffling on keeping), so you’re not alone in big casts and multiple POVs. XD It can be fun, especially for a first draft!

Violet
    @pookiemonster

Yeah, I’ve been counting character pages where I try to get a better idea of their background, traits and POV voice. Honestly, idea pages are some of my favorite things to do.

Oh, don’t know if you already use this, but I use this site to find cool names based of their meanings and race.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β https://meaning-of-names.com/

Do have a favorite character for your current project?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘General Writing Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest