fb

Reply To: How do you name things in your fantasy worlds?

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding How do you name things in your fantasy worlds? Reply To: How do you name things in your fantasy worlds?

Aislinn Mollisong
@aislinn-mollisong

Hi! I hope I can answer your questions a bit.

The way I usually name things depends on what it is. For places, I kind of use whatever I want, but with my current WIP I’ve been using words in other languages that match the place. like I have one kingdom called Magnus, after the Latin word for great. It’s the biggest kingdom on my continent (plus it has a VOLCANO!) so the name goes pretty well with it. Another is called Ehren, which is a slight misspelling of a name for Ireland. As you could probably guess, Ehren is very reminiscent of Celtic and Irish culture.

For people, I pick random names I like, or try to find one that means something in a different language. (I have an entire list of names that mean ‘fire’ in Irish)

But I do have a rule of sorts for myself, which is pretty much ‘keep it simple’. I use ‘normal’ names as much as I can, and don’t just smush letters together to make something sound cool. I’ve seen a lot of really good stories have their coolness a bit ruined by having really complicated crazy names.

Hero with an overactive imagination

Pin It on Pinterest