fb

Reply To: Blogging Advice

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Blogging Advice Reply To: Blogging Advice

Jenna Terese
@jenwriter17

@k-a-grey Blogging! One of my favorite subjects! 😀

I’m definitely not an expert on gaining followers, but one of my biggest tips would be to post consistently, even if the posts are pretty spread out. Readers will know what to expect of you. You can figure out what content your readers want to see by asking questions, conducting surveys, etc.

I definitely recommend WordPress. It’s the only thing I’ve used, but it has worked out well. And if you can, I also recommend starting a self-hosted site (.com instead of .wordpress.com). I use Bluehost to host my site (and yes, there is an annual fee with that). Also, the plugin Jetpack has been AMAZING and makes everything a bit easier! But I believe the free version is only available for self-hosted sites.

As for making money, I haven’t really researched that much. Off the top of my head, ads are one way. Then there’s affiliate links for different companies (I don’t know much about that), and things like courses, services or ebooks you’ve created that you could sell.

Here are some blog posts I’ve written that might help too 🙂 :

HOW TO PLAN GREAT BLOG POSTS IN 5 STEPS + FREE PRINTABLE

DO THESE 6 THINGS BEFORE STARTING A BLOG

YOU HAVE 5 SECONDS…

HOW TO CREATE BLOG POSTS READERS WILL ADORE|GUEST POST BY LIVY LYNN

Also, Abbie Emmon’s blog is a great place for blogging tips!

Some things I’ve learned NOT to do:

• Copy other’s blogging style. It takes a bit, but eventually I learned to write like myself instead of trying to copy other bloggers, however successful they are.
  • Not schedule content. My favorite thing about WordPress is that I can write posts ahead of time and schedule them to automatically post at a certain time on a certain date. It’s so nice to be able to take a day to write a bunch of posts and then not have to worry about it for the month.

I could really go on and on about this subject, but I hope I didn’t overwhelm you! 😀 I’d be happy to help with any other questions you have too, if you’d like. 🙂 I can’t wait to see your blog someday!!!

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
www.jennaterese.com