fb

Reply To: *waves* Greetings, felllow Emberians!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *waves* Greetings, felllow Emberians! Reply To: *waves* Greetings, felllow Emberians!

Naiya Dyani
@naiya-dyani

@evelyn Hey, another Winnie-the-Pooh fan! ๐Ÿ˜€ Seriously, everyone underrates those books. People just need to read them again once they’re older, because A. A. Milne packed so much dry humor into those stories that flies right over little kids’ heads.

Most of the classics I’ve read have been for school (Tale of Two Cities was) and I’ve found them a mixed bag. Some of them I love (Mark Twain can be a fun read, let’s be honest ๐Ÿ˜› ), while some of them I seriously wonder how they became classics ๐Ÿ˜› . It’s probably because people back when they were written had a much longer/more dependable attention span than I do. . .

My admiration for Charles Dickens probably started when I was readingย POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE WHO HASN’T READ A TALE OF TWO CITIES (sorry, I hate it when people assume you know what happens in classic books and give everything away ๐Ÿ˜€ ) about Darnay’s first trial in England and Dickens used a metaphor comparing the chattering of the people in the courtroom to blue flies buzzing around a carcass. I remember kind of setting down the book and thinking, man, this guy is good! What good classics have you read?

I want to read Lord of the Rings at some point, but I’ve heard the descriptions can get pretty tedious. How did you find them? I’ll have to pick some time I’ve got space in my schedule for it. Maybe Christmas break.

I’m curious about your language! What’s it like? Does it have any influences from other languages, or are you starting completely from scratch? Also, what do you like most about worldbuilding? I’ve got mixed feelings about it, because I enjoy inventing cultures and languages but am kind of terrible when it comes to settings (in particular describing them in my book without sounding super boring (: ).

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.