fb

Reply To: Advice on having the MC driving the story forward?

Forums Fiction Characters Advice on having the MC driving the story forward? Reply To: Advice on having the MC driving the story forward?

Naiya Dyani
@naiya-dyani

Hello!

I can’t claim to know a lot on this topic, but I’ll try to help with what I do know (this is a struggle for me, too)! Because yeah, misbehaving characters aren’t helpful. . .

I personally hate trying to answer this question myself, but what are your MC’s goals/desires/needs? Those can be a huge part of what drives them. (If you’re like me and only have a fuzzy idea of what drives your characters, enneagram personality tests are a great place to start).

Also, who/what does he or she love most? I mean, not that I support killing off/tormenting characters (*looks over personal character graveyard, clears throat, glances back*), but if your character is down in the dumps, they’ll need something worth fighting for to pull them out. Putting whatever they value most on the line can force them to take action they otherwise might not have had the will to do.

I hope that helped a little! If there’s a particular story you’re working on where you’re dealing with this, would you mind giving some more plot details? I’m curious about what you’re writing!

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.