fb

Reply To: Mental Illness/Disorders In Christian Fiction

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Mental Illness/Disorders In Christian Fiction Reply To: Mental Illness/Disorders In Christian Fiction

Eden Anderson
@eden-anderson

@taylorclogston

I don’t know. I don’t have a very broad experience with how your typical reader of Christian fiction engages with their Christian fiction. In my experience, the sorts of very conservative people who have these incredibly sad views of mental illness are either people who don’t read much fiction or are people who don’t engage with creative work beyond “let me compare it to the perfect standard of the Bible [though they actually mean “the interpretation of the Bible my pastor gives me”] and then throw the whole thing out if something seems not to align with their preconceived notions.

Okay, yeah, that makes sense. I agree.

I think the challenge is convincing Christians to have more open hearts and minds, be willing to expose themselves to the pain of realizing they might have conflicting values, and be willing to consider the specific nuances of their pastor might not be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

That’s a big challenge. 🙃

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I appreciated everything you had to say and sorry it took so long for me to reply.

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky