Reply To: On writing God in a story

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions On writing God in a story Reply To: On writing God in a story

Daeus Lamb
@daeus-lamb

@lin Yes, that’s a good point. I think it’s something that intimidated me until I tried it. And if you don’t want to try it, that’s perfectly fine.

In my story, I never have characters see God. I think that makes it much easier. They may be aware of his presence, but I work with God’s voice, not his image. In this case, I’m only working with three factors: the words God says, the tone he uses, and the context in which he speaks. Since I view any representation I make of God as a statement that he is that way, I ground myself in scriptures. Sometimes I directly quote God’s words (in parallel contexts — that’s important). For instance, he tells a character roughly similar to Judas in my story, “What you are about to do, do quickly”.

Otherwise, I’m trying to write God’s words similar to how they appear in scripture — always considering context. What biblical context is closest to what I’m representing in my story and then how can I convey God’s basic tone and message?

😀
👕👍
👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest