Reply To: The Art of Female Characters(Which I Coincidentally Need Help With)

Forums Fiction Characters The Art of Female Characters(Which I Coincidentally Need Help With) Reply To: The Art of Female Characters(Which I Coincidentally Need Help With)

K.M. Small
@morreafirebird

@sarah-inkdragon I find I have the opposite problem, but I guess I’ll be sure to tag you when I have a problem writing a guy character xD

A lot of what’s been said here is good, and I think in general, girls are more prone to being nurturing and compassionate (due to our most often being mothers). How that looks like will definitely differ from every girl. Some will be just all smiles and hugs and I MUST CUDDLE THAT CHILD. (not me, ha!). Others will be more physically protective, like standing up for younger siblings getting bullied, etc.

Also, what does this girl find to be beautiful? What is something that takes her breath away? And what would absolutely break her and make her cry? I’m thinking that the problem with this character is that she isn’t rounded out enough. Yes, she can be sarcastic and hard and such, but figuring out what else she is will likely help make her less cliche. I

In my experience, cliche characters are characters who aren’t developed enough. I have a particularly sarcastic character in a series of mine. He’s a blast to write. But recently he felt really…flat. Until I realized that that was literally all there was to his character: sarcasm (and loyalty). Figuring out what made him laugh, cry, or be a total goof-ball really helped round out his character. With your character, she could still be like a strong female character, but what makes her different?

~ Khylie
"Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest