Reply To: For All The Historical Fictioners

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions For All The Historical Fictioners Reply To: For All The Historical Fictioners

Moonlighting Novelist
@moonlighting-novelist

Hello, Historical Fictioners!! (A great name, @seekjustice!)

I’ve had the best time reading over this thread for the last week! So glad to join in.

My favorite time periods are: Victorian America and Britain, but I love history between 1800 to about 1930. It’s the most interesting to me. I also find ancient Egypt fascinating. I don’t have a lot of real historical figures that I particularly like, but I have developed an interest in the Vanderbilt family, due to my visit to their country estate, Biltmore. It’s a beautiful place, and I found the history around it fun to learn, as if falls squarely in my era of interest.

My two favorite books are: Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. I also really liked North and South, Anna Karenina, and War and Peace. I’m VERY fond of Elizabeth Peters’ Amelia Peabody series, a mystery series set in late 1800s/early 1900s England and Egypt. I’ve also enjoyed some historical romances by authors Deeanne Gist and Colleen Coble. I’m not familiar with lot of the authors mentioned on this thread…I’ve read a lot of books, but probably within a pretty narrow window. I also enjoy reading non-fiction history books, especially about life and culture of the past.

I’m currently editing the draft of my first complete novel. Set in post Civil War Richmond, VA, the story of the daughter of a former plantation owner unfolds as she discovers love for the first time, but not quite in the way she imagined it. She finds love rather unexpectedly. This story is intended to be a romance, but also has a little mystery/suspense. I had the basic premise and characters sketched out, but I pantsed most of it, just seeing where the story took me. Needless to say, at the end of the draft, I had a decent story that needed quite a bit of tweaking and some rewriting in order to make the plot work better. Still working on those edits. Given the era and placement of my WIP, I greatly enjoyed the conversation between @rochellaine and @eden-anderson about the American Civil War. @rochellaine, you gave wonderful insight. I very much agree with you. 🙂

"There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart."
-Jane Austen, "Emma"

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest