fb

Reply To: Anyone up for cheking out a (very) short story?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Anyone up for cheking out a (very) short story? Reply To: Anyone up for cheking out a (very) short story?

Libby
@libby

@parker I know, right?  It’s so hard to see my own mistakes, but other people’s just jump out at me. 😉

@h-jones
You’re awesome! <3
Good news!  I decided to give it a go!  Doing NaNoWriMo for the first time ever, and this is definitely motivation to get it done.  🙂 You convinced me!

@storyjoy
Thank you!  That’s so encouraging.  I have no idea where this story came from, but I’m excited to see where it goes.  I’m so glad it offered new inspirations for you!

@taylorclogston
That makes it clearer.  Thanks for explaining.  So you aren’t advocating getting rid of all adverbs – which was going to be my next question. 🙂
I do tend to justify myself when using adverbs.  Like saying they sound good, or leave something to the reader’s imagination.  It’s so hard to let go of lines or words you are attached to.

I do have one question, and this is for anyone.  I describe Sergio as “a darkly handsome man with ebony hair”.  Is there anything wrong with this?  I mean, I use “darkly” to describe how handsome he is because I want people to imagine him in their minds and not have me dictate exactly what he looks like.  Should this have a place in my story, or ought I to change that to something else.  Sorry if this is really confusing.  I would love any feedback on it.

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon