Reply To: Cranky Old Man Syndrome

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Cranky Old Man Syndrome Reply To: Cranky Old Man Syndrome

Josiah DeGraaf
@josiah

Hey @the-inkspiller!

I can actually relate to a lot of what you’re saying here. Most of my stories don’t tend toward the cute/funny side of the spectrum, and while I don’t know I’d say my writing is dark per se, it certainly deals with dark aspects of life at times and is darker than many other Christian works out there.

Here’s my perspective:

– I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being more attracted to writing more-serious fiction that deals with the darker side of life. I actually think that we need these sorts of books. The goal of storytelling is to reveal the human experience for what it is, and it isn’t all fun and games. A lot of it isn’t, actually. Case in point: the Book of Judges.

– I think it is valuable to remember that there is a value in portraying the other side as well. There’s a Psalm 8 for every Psalm 13. Depicting the whole human experience means dealing with the darker side of human nature, but it also means showing the grace, kindness, and goodness of God as well. The challenge of both sides of the writing spectrum is to depict the aspects of the human experience they most feel called to depict as well as they can–while also appreciating those who are depicting very different sides of the human experience.

So I’m all ears for conversations wrestling with the complexities of human depravity. We need to carefully think through such things as Christians, and while cynicism can be bad, I don’t think it’s always bad when you’re cynical about the right things. 🙂

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest