Reply To: "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." Reply To: "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

The Inkspiller
@the-inkspiller

@Northerner, In response to your query as regards my Chesterton anthology – it is the Dover Reader, containing The Man Who Was Thursday (unread), The Club of Queer Trades (unread), six of the Father Brown stories (Working on The Salad of Colonel Cray), and several essays including Orthodoxy, A Piece of Chalk, and Cheese.

I recently finished Cheese, and I don’t think I have yet fully appreciated Chesterton’s genius. He is at once ridiculous and yet immensely thoughtful, filled with veiled barbs towards the most innocuous things and yet endearingly gentle in all his speech, never mocking yet always playing. With the most seemingly mundane of subjects, mere cheese, he has somehow reopened my mind to the beauty of individual culture and the uniqueness of human experience in an age where we are all reduced to statistics, copies, numbers, lines of text and brief notes in our digital existence.
I must re-read it at once.

As a compliment to you, I can very clearly see the influence of his writing style on your own. When you take the time, it would seem you always convey yourself at once formally and yet light-heartedly, with an authentically English eloquence.

If I may ask, what medieval authors and/or works might you recommend? I know of Chaucer but have never read him, have heard of Dante but have only witnessed the bowdlerization of his work in video game format, and have only the vaguest recollection of a poem about a monk who stuck his hands down the trousers of innocent peasant folk until someone farted into his hand in an act of retribution.

Non nobis Domine, sed nomini, Tuo da gloriam.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest