Reply To: Karthmin Is Here

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Karthmin Is Here Reply To: Karthmin Is Here

Martin Detwiler
@karthmin

Thank you everyone!

@parker
*is showered in confetti* Love the spirit, but it always gets stuck in my… oh wait, I don’t have hair XD Thank you for your well-wishes. 🙂

@wordsmith
That’s so awesome that you’ve begun to pick up writing in earnest over the past year and took the dive into having a blog as well! I had a blog for a few years during high school as well (don’t have it anymore, though). It’s a fun journey, and I wish you well.

I like most sports a lot as well, and I’m intrigued at what kind of dancing you like… I’m a fan of square dancing and the like.

I wouldn’t say that I have a TON of writing experience, but what I have I hope to share – swords sharpening swords, right?

@a_small_mousepad
Thank you for the applauding, but I must confess that my tendency is to take the path of least resistance; so my retreat to short stories is not wholly humility!
Short stories aren’t for everyone, so if you can’t write them, no harm done. 🙂 To be honest, I generally run into the same problem… my stories grow bigger with a mind of their own.

Writing short stories that feel like they are a part of something larger isn’t necessarily a problem! If the story is not satisfying all by itself and the themes don’t resolve in a neat bow, then you might have an issue, but a lot of my short stories end up connecting themselves, one way or another, to larger story-universes that I have created. And I think that’s a great thing. The best feeling you can give a reader at the end of your story (short or long) is a sense of completion and satisfaction, and yet a burning desire for more. One of the best examples that I can think of for this is the end of The Last Battle in Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia. I still remember one time in particular when I finished the last page and was just so mad at Lewis that he hadn’t written more stories…

I was satisfied with the story that he told; but I was so in love with the world and the characters, and he created such a sense of continuance and future that I wanted to be there, to peek through the curtain and see what happened after the last page.

Unlike what the big-business money-minded approach to storytelling would have you believe, leaving your audience with that feeling of wanting more is not always a green light for Part Two. It is often a good thing in and of itself. It’s not that there is more story that needs to be told, but that there is more that could be told.

How do you do this? Simplicity. In short stories especially, every word, scene, character, and piece of punctuation has to count. To help with this, I try to keep a very simple cast of characters, one main theme, and a relatively simple plot-line. My settings are not often described very much, and one of the main drivers of the story’s action is dialogue. If a worldbuilding detail slips into the story, it has to be serving a bigger purpose (character development, plot detail, foreshadowing etc.).

So yeah. It’s my opinion that short stories rely on simplicity for their big, satisfying punch.

@daeus-lamb
Heeey! Thanks, brother. 🙂

@samuel
Yes! I am a fully-grown (unfortunately) fully human adult. No dwarf. But I have hairy feet, so I like to think there’s some hobbit blood in me somewhere… XD

Nice to meet you. 🙂 And your owl. *to Mr. Owl* Hooo do you dooo?

You seem to be far more musical than I… I enjoy singing, and that’s about all I have any talent for.

@nuetrobolt
*bows low* Pleased to meet you. I hope Vip learns to behave and help you out like a good dragon should.

I’m glad to see that you didn’t give up after your first attempt! Keep plugging away at writing, and you will continue to see improvement. It really is an exciting journey. 🙂

From your signature, I’m guessing that you have read The Wingfeather Saga? That is one of my favorite series of all time!

myths don't die

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest