fb

Reply To: Male characters question

Forums Fiction Characters Male characters question Reply To: Male characters question

Noah Cochran
@noah-cochran

@lonathecat

Ezer refers to the woman as a ‘helper’ to the man, I believe. Helper meaning an essential hero and preserver of the man, not a servant.

@obrian-of-the-surface-world

You, my good man, don’t say things in halves. xD I’ll make a few comments, starting at the end of your post.

I believe you are conflating compromising/putting feelings over facts with speaking in love and being filled with charity. When I speak, I do not compromise. If I am shown truth through the bible, I change my mind, but I never compromise when it comes to biblical matters. No Christian should. Neither do I put feelings over facts. I will proclaim the truths of what a biblical man and biblical woman is my whole life, no matter what if people are offended or not. Nor will I ever, as you put it, use ‘soft and cuddly lies.’

However that does not mean I will misconstrue verses and use them to quote ‘demolish’ other people’s beliefs. One can, and should speak in love and charity, without compromising or lying. If you believe that is not possible, then I must be candid with you: your mindset is badly askew. In 1 Cor. 13:1-4, it speaks of performing acts without charity. Those acts are proclaimed to be as noise making symbols, useless to the core. That is what inflammatory arguing is.

You can state the truth in an uncompromising way without being gratuitously vehement and violent in your speech. I could take your exact points in this discussion (of which I agree with you in most aspects) and say it in a more loving, but no more compromising way.

James 2:13 give those who have no mercy a warning:

For he shall have judgement without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

Mercy means we treat those who differ from us or may be misguided or ignorant with kindness. Yes, we speak the truth no matter what, but we do it in a kind way. What does do it in a kind way mean? If you truly don’t understand what that means, I’m sure there are many who would be willingly show you, but I think you do, because I have seen you speak in more kind ways several times before. I believe you, like me, just get fired up sometimes and become too vehement.

As for 2 Cor. 10:5, the preserved version stemming from the Textus Receptus, states:

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

This verse does indeed refer to removing false and corrupt beliefs and controlling one’s mind and thoughts to obey the word of God, but it does not mean that we are to go around quote ‘demolishing’ other people’s beliefs. That word entails that we rip them apart and hammer them with the bible–that is showing love. We can dismantle false arguments, but we can do it in a gentle, loving way.

It makes no sense to me why anyone would argue against the premise that generally speaking, to secure a household against the threat of a despoiler, it is good to have a man operate within the strengths of a sound body and a means and method of repelling the threat.

This is not wrong. However, I, again, would not have used those verse to make this point because there are far better verses to do so. And secondly, I believe you are putting far too much emphasis on strength of body. Yes, men are commanded to protect their families, and yes, they should take care of their bodies to the best of their ability, but no, that does not mean physical dominance over enemies is required. A single man can do little, no matter how strong, against a determined and united foe–without God. That is why humbleness and prayer are what make a true man.

When I said “Guys want to be tough” what I intended for you all to understand is that men have an innate desire to be proven worthy in a test of toughness.  To be tough, you must be put under trial and subject yourself to the difficulty of a task that is worthy of respect if completed successfully.
Paul addresses the Corinthian church comparing a physical test to a spiritual test.

I’m sorry, but the verse about running the race is just not applicable. Paul is merely using a secular activity in order to illustrate his point, he is not teaching a dual lesson, one about physical and spiritual, as you seem to think he is. I am a proponent of physical fitness, don’t get me wrong, but Paul is by no means giving a secondary point about becoming fit. Toughness is an incredibly ambiguous term that has little biblical grounding, which is why I would have left it out of this conversation.

God made males and females with complementary differences and assigned them different roles which make up the whole part of his good plan.  Being envious of another’s assigned role, questions the judgment, fairness, and equity of the Role-Giver.

Amen, brother. 🙂

Pin It on Pinterest