fb

Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Forums Fiction Plotting Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep. Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Sarah
@ajstoryteller

I can appreciate a bittersweet or sad ending in a story, but like others have been saying it has to serve a purpose somehow. Too many stories nowadays kill off characters to shock their audience, and have sad endings in hopes of being memorable. Those kinds of stories I usually end up resenting, and make little to no sense to me.

As for realism, one thing I’ve discovered is that realism doesn’t equal better. Many people believe we need things to be dark and gritty in order to be realistic, but the types of stories they tend to argue it for have fire-breathing dragons and car-chucking super-heroes.

As for sad endings being more memorable than tragic ones, I’d have to disagree. Sure I remember them, but I don’t think I’d dwell on them like the author intends. Instead it’s the happy ones I keep coming back to, because while they may not be realistic, they give me hope. And nowadays, I think that is what I need more than anything.

I plan on ending my series with the most ‘unrealistic’ happy ending ever, and I don’t care if people remember it or not, I just know that I’ll be happy with it. I mean, it has aliens, dragons, and super-heroes, I’ve clearly left realism long behind me.

Pin It on Pinterest