fb

Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Forums Fiction Plotting Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep. Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

*Reaches through the screen and gives you a massive hug*

Oh, honey, I’m so sorry about that friendship-breakup! It’s honestly one of the most underratedly heartbreaking things. I know you were close to her and I hope it gets better soon.

It’s just awful when friendships break down like that, it always hurts horribly 🙁

Otherwise, on-topic, pretty much agree with everything you said. Also want to add that grieving doesn’t only happen after the death of a loved one. It happens after a friendship dissolves, after you cut ties with someone, after moving, after leaving a church/community, etc. etc. It’s all very much grief.

And something else I thought of that I read somewhere but I have no idea where!

If you’re writing a death scene or any very dramatic scene, there’s a couple things you can do on prose level to make it hit harder. You have to be just a little colder in describing it, like one step more than you think it should be. Don’t hold back or dodge back from it. That would essentially keep you in the safe spot where your reader doesn’t really feel it hurt.

And something I haven’t read about but that I tried out and found kinda interesting is to use very strong “beautiful” imagery and poetic language. It juxtapositions the shocking scene in a really weird way and it makes it feel even more out of place.

I think there’s an article that touches on this here on SE, but basically you have to pick out something beautiful to juxtaposition with what’s happening.

(I just reread that scene to check what I actually did and it felt like punching myself in the face ten consecutive times so I guess it worked.)

@erynne

That’s such a beautiful memory of your father 🙂

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest