fb

Reply To: Worldbuilding and Non-magic Magical System Input

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding Worldbuilding and Non-magic Magical System Input Reply To: Worldbuilding and Non-magic Magical System Input

Taylor Clogston
@taylorclogston

@storysmith

Hi Joshua! Thanks for sharing your worldbuilding. As you said, you’ve clearly put a lot of thought into this. I definitely see the Brando Sando influence. I have a couple reactions to your description:

• The planet has two creators, but one of them was secretly God? Were there a race of superhumans/angels/demigods/whatever, and two of them decided to go off and make a planet, but one of the two was actually God, while there are others off doing their own thing, or is it more like the brother (gonna call the non-God the “brother” since otherwise this will be too confusing) thought he and his supposed brother were the God of the universe, but then it was actually God and His son who he convinced was his brother? Goodness, this is hard to talk coherently about. You mention “the selfish desires of his fellow stewards” later, what does that cosmologically entail?
  • Your description has a strong flavor of gnosticism about it, with a supreme good and a lesser evil creator of the world. That makes me a little surprised you intended this to be palatable to a conservative Christian audience. Combine that with the element of a living source of planetary power akin to Gaia, the inscribing what you might call sacred geometries onto crystals to tune them, and the possibility of astrological events to empower magic, and your worldbuilding sounds pretty New Age to me.
  • The fact that the “good” choice of restoring the world results in mutation and aberration of natural creation is also odd, especially when it results in uplifting animals into sapient creatures.
  • Yeah, “techno magic” is a term to describe it. Magitek/magitech and technomancy are two more terms which might be used more frequently that you might want to research to learn about genre trappings.

I’m pretty biased against trying to justify worldbuilding in concordance with our world’s cosmology. I think it’s very easy to slip into heresy by trying to tie things that don’t occur in our world with our idea of how God might react to something that could, in fact, never happen in our world.

As for how I’d describe your magic system, it sounds fairly mechanical. One of the main strengths of Stormlight as a rational system is the attempt to quantify how much power a character has available by tying it to how many and which color spheres they have. Obviously that becomes less of a factor as time goes on and characters have easier access to huge amounts of power and can use their fuel more effectively.

If you want to attract fans of Sandersonian magic systems, I definitely recommend you be careful about making sure the reader knows the limitations and quantifications of a character’s tech at any given moment. I assume you’re familiar with Sanderson’s laws of magic?

Thanks for sharing! I’m interested to see what more you share with us in the future.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Pin It on Pinterest