fb

Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Forums Fiction Plotting Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep. Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Sarah
@ajstoryteller

@erynne

We lost a member of our church last year. It’s a small church so our members are tightly knit group, and she’s been a part of it for as long as I can remember. So there was a variety of reactions to it. My mom was very close with her and still struggles with it, she was more open with her emotions about it. My best friend, her grandson, told me he felt numb about it. Like he knew he should feel something but couldn’t. I switched between both of those. I was aware of what had happened but as long as the evidence wasn’t in front of me I was fine.

We still had hope, because she was a Christian and we knew we’d see her again, but for now we missed her presence.

I’d agree on not showing an internal monologue. I’d focus on the character’s symptoms. Grief can be felt physically, heaviness in the chest, a cold, shaken feeling. My thoughts were never on her when I was grieving. I just felt it. Over time, people grieving can look more fragile, older. Some grow quiet, as if a part them died with that person. It can wear down on someone.

Some people will do everything they can to distract or distance themselves. Other’s minds just refuse to process it fully until months down the line. Some have, or appear to deal with it easier, where others are broken by it. Some withdraw from everyone else, others will seek comfort in crowds.

Grief is a relevant thing to my story as well, though the lost individuals have been long gone, that grief is still present.

I don’t know if I was much help, but I felt I should add my experience.

Pin It on Pinterest