fb

Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Forums Fiction Plotting Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep. Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Joelle Stone
@joelle-stone

@erynne,

Gotta love the Flynn Rider smolder

YES

Hrm, good question. (And I don’t think you’re heartless – I have a sister who’s the same way. ;))

Honestly, it depends on your character. I had one die once (eight close friends, so lots of different personalities there). Her closest friend was less grieved than she was angry – angry at herself for letting it happen, angry at the person who killed her, angry at a God she didn’t know for not stopping it. Another friend was guilt-ridden. Another cried her eyes out and wouldn’t speak for days. Another layered on joke after joke to cover up his pain.

One tip would be to make sure you have a LOT of internal monologue. Death doesn’t come and go with a speaking-to-the-gravestone scene and then everything’s peachy. Make your characters wrestle. Make it HURT. And then they’ll come out stronger as a result.

Another thing would be to write several different scenes, taking a different tac each time. Explore your character’s personality to discover how he/she would mourn. Maybe write a journal entry of theirs right after the person died. Maybe they detail how it happened, so they remember. Maybe they gush out their feelings onto paper but don’t dare say anything in front of others. Maybe they long to be alone. Maybe they want to bury themselves in their activities so they don’t have to think about it (in which case night would be really painful – a crying-into-his/her-pillow-to-muffle-the-sound scene usually pulls on readers’ heartstrings).

Erm… yep, that’s all I’ve got for now. Good luck!

"For love is strong as death." -God

Pin It on Pinterest