fb

Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Forums Fiction Plotting Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep. Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

That is a fantastic question Sarah, let me forward it to my knowledgeable friend Rose rose-colored-fancy so she can nod sagely and enlighten us.   (she does historical European martial arts and knows a ton about medieval combat, so I would consider her an erudite on the subject)
You vastly overestimate me XD But I’ll do my best!

@ajstoryteller

Okay, as Noah mentioned, my credentials are that I’ve been doing HEMA for the past two months (my main weapon is a longsword), I’m writing a Medieval action-adventure fantasy with a lot of fight scenes, and I enjoy researching and have done so extensively.

My first instinct is to say that I write it, rewrite it, and hope for the best XD

I’ll try to be more helpful than that XD

Character focus. As you mentioned before, nothing is quite as boring as fight scenes for their own sake. Make sure it’s important to your characters and shows some part of them or it’s absolutely plot required.
Terrain. Check what kind of area they’re fighting on. Rocks? Going to be hard to move and easy to trip. A house with furniture? Improvised weapons, but not much moving space. Think about your enviornment and try to use it.
Weapons. Decide which weapons your characters are using, then research the heck out of them. I highly suggest finding videos of people sparring with the same weapons. (Not as hard as you’d think!) It helps you find the rythym and can even teach you some interesting moves to use.
Compare opponents. Who is stronger? Who has trained longer? Who has the high ground? Who has more stamina? Is one of them wounded or using an unfamiliar weapon?
Stakes! This one is obvious but worth mentioning. Mention the stakes.
Now, those are very basic tips, so let me get more into the actual writing of it.

Don’t do a move-by-move thing. So don’t: He raised his sword diagonally, she attacked him from above, he stepped forward and deflected her cut.

Now, you can use this, but sparingly. When your character does something cool or improvises in an interesting way or fails spectacularly, it’s worth using.

Otherwise, show your character plotting or changing plans. Show how they think.

Oh, I just remembered a fantastic video essay and explanation by Hello Future Me! It covers anything I could tell you and more. I highly recommend checking it out!

On writing: Fight Scenes

and

On Writing: How to master fight scenes

They’re extremely detailed and packed with useful information, covering everything from big picture to sentence structure. Of course, they’re about fight scenes, so I advise you to use discretion, but I don’t remember anything particularly gory.

I’m going to stop here because there’s nothing I can add to those videos XD I hope this helps!

If you do want more technical details about longsword fighting, I’m always up for talking about it! (I know almost nothing but I’m happy to share the three things I know XD)

Dangit, it won’t post! I’ll try posting the links seperately!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest