fb

Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Forums Fiction Plotting Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep. Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

*I walk over and start a congenial conversation with Emma

*Joelle skids to a halt besides us, we raise a brow in surprise

*Erynne skids to a halt beside Joelle and immediately starts berating her for such rudeness

*Rose, unable to stop her face pace, rams straight into Joelle and Erynne and the three of them fall into Emma and me

*Everyone lies in a large pile gives each other exasperated writer looks

Yeah, no, this is exactly what happened XD

So this is interesting (see my comment to Joelle), I think this can work, but I’ve been torn on which way I should do it, protags or antags first. What I do know is that it is of vital importance that the protags have very good external and internal reasons for caring about the atag and their plan. My problem with starting with the protags is that I’m worried that I’ll have to majorly revise them to work with my atag.

Something that may work for you (it’s worked for me so far) is to set up your antagonist’s motivations while you design your protags, and then you design their plans while you come up with the character arc.

I wouldn’t say I don’t like it, but good night is it hard. xD I have grown to believe that though the protags are what make a story shine, the main antagonist and their plan is what ties all the protagonists and events together–without it, there would just be a bunch of characters aimlessly walking about. That’s my thought process anyway.

You’re totally right and it ups the stakes even more to get it right.

What I usually end up doing is I first decide what kind of adventure I want the protags to have (a quest, a heist, and a revenge mission are going to require different plotttings from the antagonist) and then I try to somehow put some motivation for the antagonist there and as soon as I have some kind of loose outline I usually give up and leave it for revisions.

My clever-plan-inator takes a long time to load. Also the reason I don’t like battles XD To the point that I plotted my last two books so I can avoid any large-scale battle on-screen. I don’t like reading them, I don’t like writing them XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest