fb

Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Forums Fiction Plotting Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep. Reply To: Rndm brainstorming post to help each other when we got nothing. Yep.

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

I am also blatantly ramming into this conversation XD

Okay, so I’m currently brainstorming a medieval action adventure series. You have any tips on planning a series in particular? Where do you start with something like that? The antagonists and their plans or the protagonists and their arcs? Or somewhere else?

Source: I’m writing a trilogy. You know that, I’m skipping over the formalities.

Personally, what has worked for me:

You don’t have to plot the entire series in one go, but I suggest having your very end in mind, so you know what you’re working toward. (This might change, but everything will change. It’s cool.)

If you’re going to self publish anyway, it might be best to draft all the books before you revise. Stuff will change drastically as you keep drafting, and otherwise you’ll have to go back and rip out like half your first, almost finished book to make it work.

Have one central protagonist, but have good deutoragonists. Consider using multiple POV’s if you have multiple characters with arcs. (Personally, I have one central protagonist, but I have two other protagonists that have a dual POV with her in the second and third book, respectively. They’re basically upgraded side characters.)

Don’t make the first book all setup.

Don’t worry if some of the characters grow beyond their roles. They will, it’ll make your story better.

On that note, they’re going to switch roles as though it’s a game of musical chairs as you write. (Or at least mine did, but my characters are notoriously chaotic)

About character arcs, you want your arc characters to overcome one lie per book. You can either have them start out with their whole bundle of lies and tackle them one at a time, or you can do what I prefer. They start out with one strong lie and possibly a few smaller ones. In the process of overcoming their strong lie, something happens that sparks a new lie for them to overcome in the next book.

For me, that happened almost accidentally, but it works great. It gives you a nice cause and effect.

And to actually answer your question, I always start with characters and their arcs then reverse engineer the antagonist’s plan to fit what needs to happen to them. (Or sometimes at the same time.)

Though, I have to confess, I really don’t like coming up with the antagonist’s plans XD

Hope that helped some!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest