fb

Reply To: Showing Internal Conflict

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Showing Internal Conflict Reply To: Showing Internal Conflict

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

🤣Hey, I still have faith in you.

I appreciate the encouragement 🙂

Yes, when I used the word gown, that problem was always in my mind, because it has strong connotation of high quality, and dressy.

It does, but when your readers read medieval fantasy, they’ll expect slightly more formal language, and I don’t think the connotation would get in your way too much.

The only way to avoid that problem is to write the entire thing in Old French/Latin XD Your readership will be rather smaller if you do that though, you might want to take that into consideration. 😉

Uh…you got me. xD Shadiversity is amazing, I do wish he put his sources in the channel description more often though. I think I might have read a similar account of clothing descriptions in Gies’s Life in the Medieval X series, but I would have to check.

When I listened to it I was initially doubtful, then I realized it actually makes a lot of sense. It’s essentially just a long tunic, and that was common enough.

Yes, the internet has been a tremendous help to me for history. If you’re ever interested in battles, tactics, or wanting historical inspiration, Kings and Generals youtube channels if fantastic, and he covers much of the medieval era and the battle and tactics of that time. Shadiversity is still the best by far though, his videos on castle layouts helped me a ton.

Totally! The entire sword community on YouTube (Off the top of my head; ModernHistoryTV, LindyBeige, Shadiversity, Metratron, Schola Gladiatora, and Skallagrim) has helped me a TON in writing. I’m researching off the beaten track, but I have found some information about Medieval times in the MENA region.

As far as I know, Schola Gladiatora, Shad, and Skallagrim are also HEMA-ists.

I especially like ModernHistoryTV. (Purely because of Ghost and Warlord, his horses XD) But really, he does a lot of practical experiments of how stuff would work beside a good general knowledge and a collection of medieval weapons, armor, and saddlery. If you’re looking for any kind of information on Medieval horses, cavalry, and knighthood, he’s a great source.

It’s very cool to see everything in action, since not everyone has a fully trained destrier in their backyard XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest