fb

Reply To: Showing Internal Conflict

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Showing Internal Conflict Reply To: Showing Internal Conflict

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

I really love sleight of hand and nimble fingers (I got into card tricks and illusionry a while back, and even started the basics of coin sleight of hand), so yeah, I’ll give it a try.

Oohhh, cool!! *Notes that down because I have an illusionist character I’m going to try to write sometime and I know nothing about it.*

Oh, come on Rose, I’ll support you.

Nonono. I absolutely refuse. Mornings and evenings are the times I write sentences that make me go “????” when I read them and write placeholders like “Thingy. Thingything.” every second sentence. (I actually found out I said “morning bird” instead of “early bird” earlier and I was writing that late at night so I feel like I proved my own point XD)

I really appreciate you doing this, but don’t let it get in the way of your writing.

Don’t worry about it! Book 3 is only half plotted, I’m planning to plot it while I read your book since plotting is more about thinking than actively writing and I tend to just start writing way before I have it properly worked out, so having something else I need to finish before I write will actually be helpful.

Now that, I am looking forward to as a avid “life in the middle ages” guy myself, I want every detail you think of. One thing to keep in mind is that this book takes place around the year 1227 (latter end of the high middle ages) and that customs did change as time progressed.

Oh, brilliant! I look forward to discussing it! Thanks for mentioning the time period, that’ll help!

I know this is nit-picking and “dress” would have been fine, so do you have any thoughts?

Tbh, this is one of the harder parts of writing. Things will be interpreted differently now than they were at the time it’s set. Things have connotations and that makes it harder to write. I get this with fantasy a lot too. The characters might interpret something differently than the readers so you get misunderstandings.

Honestly, it sounds like you have a good solution! Personally, I consider gown and dress almost interchangable, but gowns are still sometimes used to say formalwear, so I can see your issue.

It also depends on whether or not you use the term ‘dress’ to refer to anything other than a dress. If you do, then I would definitely make the gown/tunic/dress destinction. Otherwise, it’s up to you.

I don’t think it’ll be disruptive to read and some readers may pick up on it and appreciate it. Basically, I think that sounds like a good solution, but if I find it disruptive or distracting in the actual manuscript, I’ll tell you. I’ll keep an eye out for it.

This is due to the fact that in the middle ages the term “dress” was actually rather ambiguous and could even apply to some things men wore.

This… sounds suspiciously like that one Shadiversity video XD Is that where you heard it? He has an awesome channel, I use it a lot! The historical community on YouTube in general has been a great help in my writing.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest