fb

Reply To: Showing Internal Conflict

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Showing Internal Conflict Reply To: Showing Internal Conflict

Noah Cochran
@noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

It’s one of those things that makes you instantly cool, no matter the company or the context. It’s worth learning.

I really love sleight of hand and nimble fingers (I got into card tricks and illusionry a while back, and even started the basics of coin sleight of hand), so yeah, I’ll give it a try.

No.

Oh, come on Rose, I’ll support you. 🙂

I’m outraged. Shocked. It aught to be illegal for someone to be productive and organized. It’s almost like you *whispers in outrage* know what you’re doing. Appaling. Just make everything up as you go along and write only when struck by panic or inspiration like the rest of us.

I’m suitably chastised.

Forewarning, I’ve never beta-read a full manuscript before, though I have critiqued shorter pieces and analyze every piece of literature that has the misfortune of falling into my possesion.

Don’t worry about it, some of my betas don’t know the first thing about writing (they’re only avid readers).

Anyway, I can’t give you any kind of solid timeframe since I have genuinely no clue how long it’ll take. All I can tell you is I won’t give up on it and I’m going to finish it before I start on my third book. (And I’m pretty eager to start that, so I hope it’ll be fairly quickly.)

I really appreciate you doing this, but don’t let it get in the way of your writing.

Also, no matter what you ask me to look out for, if I see something inaccurate related to horses, swords, medieval dressmaking, or any of the other random subjects I somehow have an above-average knowledge about, I will tell you about it. (Nicely of course, and I’ll try not to go on excited tangents about it. Too often.)

Now that, I am looking forward to as a avid “life in the middle ages” guy myself, I want every detail you think of. 🙂 One thing to keep in mind is that this book takes place around the year 1227 (latter end of the high middle ages) and that customs did change as time progressed. One thing I want to note right now is that in The Thief’s Dilemma I call what the women wear “gowns” instead of “dresses.” This is due to the fact that in the middle ages the term “dress” was actually rather ambiguous and could even apply to some things men wore. However, since gown does entail a higher quality of clothing, I only used it for women who were dressed well, and for the rest I used the word tunic (that falls to the ankles or the ground). I know this is nip-picking and “dress” would have been fine, so do you have any thoughts?

Excited tangents are welcome. 🙂

Pin It on Pinterest