fb

Reply To: Rubber boots and tennis balls

Forums Fiction Characters Rubber boots and tennis balls Reply To: Rubber boots and tennis balls

Anne of Lothlorien
@anne-of-lothlorien

@erynne – I’m so glad you found it helpful! 🙂

I’ve seen three movie version of Little Women and I still would not say that she ever wants Meg to not get married because she ‘doesn’t need a man’, but because she wants it to be Meg and her together forever and for Meg to be happy just with her sisters. There’s a difference between not wanting their relationships to change, and thinking that her sister shouldn’t tie herself to a man because she doesn’t need one to complete herself. Technically, it is true that a woman does not need a man… many women don’t get married. As Christians we are ‘complete’ in Christ, a whole entity that finds our identity through Jesus Christ, and many women end up staying single and having fulfilled and blessed lives.

I do agree that Jo was infused with more modern feminism in the movie version, but I don’t think they turned her into a total feminist or feminazi, particularly because while she may have problems, she learns that she’s wrong, and ends up settled and happy in her own marriage. I still adore any of the movies even though they’ve changed things slightly, because Little Women is one of my all time favorite stories and seeing it acted out is a pleasure every time. 🙂 (I’m still waiting for the mini-series that includes every single occurrence and conversation from the novel XD)

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Pin It on Pinterest