fb

Reply To: Rubber boots and tennis balls

Forums Fiction Characters Rubber boots and tennis balls Reply To: Rubber boots and tennis balls

R.M. Archer
@r-m-archer

Exactly! Though, the opposite is also annoying XD Changing something dramatically without thinking through it and just accepting that stuff is like that.

True.

People are using swords but you have electricity?? Howww??

On this example… why not? If they chose to focus on scientific advancement ahead of military advancement, I don’t see why this is unreasonable? If you want swords and electricity, I say go for it.

Or, you’re obviously pre-industrial revolution but the MC is wearing a lace dress?? Do you know how long bobbin lace takes?

Actually no, I didn’t, so that’s helpful to know. XD

I’d also like to note that these things don’t necessarily have to be explained in the story to have an explanation. So as long as there’s not a glaringly-obvious-to-anyone-with-a-brain inconsistency, I can usually have grace for these things and assume there’s a behind-the-scenes explanation. Now, if a culture has, say, electricity and hasn’t applied that to its most important areas of development, I’m gonna have questions. The explanations ought to involve consistency.

More often, I catch myself thinking “Stop kissing every three pages. This is boring. I want sword fighting and cool stuff!” XD

I do generally get annoyed when romance is too large a percentage of a book that is supposed to be about, say, saving the world. If the MC would be too distracted to pursue a relationship in the proposed situation, don’t put the plot on hold to shoehorn in a romance plotline. Attraction, fine. Little romantic interactions as they actually have time, sure. Maybe even show them putting in extra effort, if this is really important to them, and show it as effort. But please make the romance-to-plot ratio realistic somehow?

And sure, it’s sweet to see some budding romance, but often authors try to shortcut to the happy ending.

Yep.

I think this partially stems from the idea that only a romance arc is compelling. I can think of a dozen other relationship arcs that I LOVE to read. (Friends to sibling-like is just as good, in my opinion. And Enemies to friends to sibling-like? Perfection.) Yeah, romantic arcs can be cool and fun to read, but there are other options.

Definitely. We need more varied and stronger relationships, both romantic and platonic. I mean, what about that couple that’s been married 40 years? Or the young couple still planning their wedding? Or the best friends, or the sibling-like friends, or the actual siblings, or the friends that haven’t figured out yet if they could be something more, or… So many options. *cough*I may may not have all of the above in my upcoming novel*cough*

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literat

Pin It on Pinterest