fb

Reply To: Rubber boots and tennis balls

Forums Fiction Characters Rubber boots and tennis balls Reply To: Rubber boots and tennis balls

Brian Stansell
@obrian-of-the-surface-world

@erynne

I did see the Hunger Games movies but unfortunately did not read Suzanne Collins’s books for the source material.  I think the books are most often way better than the movies, so I would perhaps encourage you to read Louisa Mae Alcott’s “Little Women” as source material for Jo.  I have a feeling she is not nearly as much a “progressive feminist” in the original book as the movies portray her to be.  Hollywood pushes their own subversive agendas and they rarely ever treat the source with respect when they adapt it to the screen.

Think about it this way.  If God’s design is for men and women to be mutually complementary and to live in harmonious unity, how God-honoring is it to belittle one another merely because of our created differences?  When God created humans (and the animal kingdom) to be male and female in the Garden and called them “Good”, who are we to contradict Him?  Any thinking differently needs to read Job 40:2 [including Job chapters 40 & 41] and subject themselves to Job’s comeuppance and humility before God.

There is nothing “not feminine” about a girl being a “tomboy” with similar likes to what some consider “boyish likes”.  It is unfortunate that we categorize certain interests in terms of gender, for I think we gather a little too much under certain groupings. A girl may love to hunt, shoot, fish, ride motorcycles, drive fast cars, tinker with machines, woodwork, etc. but these are not exclusive “male” interests, and often you will find these “gender assigned” activities vary from culture to culture.  Annie Oakley was every bit as good a sharp-shooter as any male in the sport.  Just be authentic in what you like and are interested in and leave the labels aside.  God does not give us certain (non-sin) tastes and delights and expects us not to explore them.  He loves His children (boys and girls).  He delights in us and created us to be unique individuals, but also complementary in how we unify under His ordination.  Individuality means I don’t have to like football or ice hockey, merely because I am a male and “should like” contact sports.  I may like fencing and polo, but that doesn’t make me any less male.  I think we, male and female should spend less time denigrating each other and more time honoring God by learning to love one another in our created differences and uniqueness.  God knew what He was doing.  He does give us certain gender-specific responsibilities and calls upon all of us to serve one another with love for Him.  He was the Servant Leader.  (Matthew 20:28 & Mark 10:45)  Each position God gives should be thought of in those terms, and not so much as a position of power over one another.
I want to be able to read a story where a woman embraces being female without having to resort to belittling a male or besting a male in the process.  If she is being attacked by a male, definitely I want her to win and find a way to avoid the physical damage a man is capable of inflicting.  If he leads with a fist, I am perfectly okay with her responding with a bullet or a blade.  But if I have to be subjected to watching an arm-wrestling match pitting a male vs. a female, where the man has 18-inch biceps and the woman had 8-inch biceps and she wins, I cannot help but groan at such poor farcical fiction.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
I was born in war.
Fighting from my first breath.

Pin It on Pinterest