fb

Reply To: Rubber boots and tennis balls

Forums Fiction Characters Rubber boots and tennis balls Reply To: Rubber boots and tennis balls

R.M. Archer
@r-m-archer

I agree with pretty much everything @obrian-of-the-surface-world said. I felt exactly the same way about Wonder Woman. (And yes, while the second movie had its redeemable moments… it was largely more feminist-ized than the first and just generally poorer quality imo.)

I might add that I often prefer for female characters to fight out of necessity or to protect those under their care. There are plenty of exceptions to this that I’ve liked just fine, so it’s by no means a definite rule; but there is something more relatable to me and more explicitly feminine, to my mind, in seeing female characters content to leave the fighting to the men—those better suited to it and primarily responsible to defend their families and communities—who will still step in when there’s no one else to fight (in the case of superheroes like Wonder Woman, this might mean when there’s no one else qualified to fight) or when their children (especially) are threatened.

She doesn’t believe that a woman shouldn’t have the goal in life to get married and raise a family, and I completely disagree. That is what the God commands us women to do.

To be fair, where this is expressly commanded in Genesis 1, both men and women are given this command. Women can be called to singleness just as men can (1 Cor. 7:8-9). Our primary goal ought to be to glorify God and use the gifts He’s given us in ways that are biblically appropriate. If that’s in marriage, fantastic. If not, we can still be faithful to use our gifts in a godly manner.

Now, I do think that women ought to be under some authority, whether it’s that of a husband or of a father or, in some cases, another godly leader whom the father or husband has temporarily delegated his own authority to. Which a lot of the women I know consider excessively conservative, but it’s what I believe is most biblical. I do think there are limitations to what a woman is biblically permitted to do as far as leadership goes, for that reason. But I don’t think that all women are primarily called to marriage and child-rearing. Probably most are (I’d include myself in that category), but not all. There are other godly vocations that women can pursue without violating the authority structure that God designed.

I think there’s a balance to be struck with acknowledging the authority structure God put in place (and putting that first) while also acknowledging that womanhood isn’t just one perfect box; there’s some wiggle room within the structure.

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literature.

Pin It on Pinterest