fb

Reply To: Hi Everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hi Everyone! Reply To: Hi Everyone!

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@storysmith

Hi Joshua, I’m Rose! Pleased to meet you!

I’m a digital artist as well! I mainly do illustration, but I have dabbled in graphic design.

I’ve been writing for about a year and a half, I’m working on a fantasy trilogy inspired by medieval North Africa. I’m completely rewriting the first book, but the second book is drafted and waiting for revisions.  The titles are “Gilded Blood” “Shadow Shards” and “Smoke Circlet” respectively.

As for book recommendations, off the top of my head I can think of Skyward by Brandon Sanderson for a sci-fi I really enjoyed, and for fantasy… “The Letter for the King” duology by Tonke Dragt is good, old-fashioned quest fantasy fun.

It has very immersive characters and worldbuilding, and the second book is certainly better than the first. (Though the first is also great)

It has some deeper themes than you’d initially expect for the target audience, and it doesn’t suffer from the overwhelming need to make fantasy gritty to make it realistic. (Netflix also recently butchered adapted it but I refuse to recognize its existence)

Another sci-fi that was okay was the Lunar Chronicles. It was… fine. Plot fairly solid, characters relatively engaging albeit flat with little development. It was clean, but there were no deep themes to speak of. And the author was chasing down so many plot bunnies that the fourth book is over 800 pages. It isn’t scattered or overly slow, just very dense.

The Scourge by Jennifer Nielsen was a pretty interesting fantasy standalone. Again, more fun than deep, but not everything has to be deep all the time XD

Tides of Mutiny by Rebecca Rode was another fantasy I enjoyed more than I initially expected. The plot was engaging, if not waterproof, and the characters were decent if not exceptional.

(This was more than I planned to recommend but I get carried away easily when it comes to books XD)

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest