fb

Reply To: Why Do You Love YA?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Why Do You Love YA? Reply To: Why Do You Love YA?

imwritehere1920
@imwritehere1920

@r-m-archer

“Reading YA is just a draining experience for me at this point more than an edifying one, and though that’s not always a bad thing if you’re aware of it, I’ve needed to take more in recently so I’ve been gravitating toward non-fiction and classics, lol.”

Ah, what’s your favorite classic or nonfiction book so far?  Are you needing to take more in to get ideas for a story?

I’ve heard about 1984, but didn’t realize there was explicit content in it; thanks for the heads up.  So far, Animal Farm has been good, content wise (course, I haven’t gotten too far into it.)

I’ve toyed with the idea of writing YA in the future (nothing definite yet), but I don’t really read those kinds of books.  So instead, I’ve sorta ‘cheated’ by skimming the blurbs of YA books when I’m in the bookstore, on Goodreads, or at the library to get an idea of the common tropes/cliches of YA, so if I do write in that genre, I know not to fall into them (and that way I don’t have to read the whole thing. *haha*)

@sparrowhawke

I’m mostly focusing on writing MG, though I do have an idea for a future YA book (but it’s still too early, and there’s a lot to work out character and plotwise.  Also, I’m sorta swamped with my MG projects; the characters refuse to leave me alone XD)  Also, Gary D. Schmidt sounds vaguely familiar, but I don’t think I’ve read his books yet.

What’s the premise to your current WIP, if you don’t mind me asking?

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Pin It on Pinterest