fb

Reply To: Revisions, editing, and general red ink.

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Revisions, editing, and general red ink. Reply To: Revisions, editing, and general red ink.

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Glad it helped! I really like her videos, she explains well and covers some more obscure topics 🙂

Do you recast the scenes you have chosen to recast first? Or do you go through the book chapter by chapter and recast the scenes you planned to as they come up. Just curious.

Mmh, good question. Personally, I’ve always marked the scenes I want to recast while reading the manuscript (possibly adding what’s wrong with it), and then afterward I went through chapter by chapter chronologically. (But I’ve heard a lot of people like to do it the other way so… just try both and pick which works best!)

However, I do recast by rewriting the entire book XD (Advice you’re not going to like coming up XD)

I’ve done this for my first book because there wasn’t much to salvage, but I’m going to repeat it for my second. I’d strongly advise to at least try rewriting instead. Not necessarily the entire book, but try a few chapters, to see if it helps you. It does improve your writing.

I’ve found rewriting works better for me personally because I often end up changing things that I wouldn’t change while editing. It’s like your brain decides that since you’re going to write it all anyway, you may as well change this or that, and it turns out better for it.

It just elevates your writing from the “good enough” that’s the first draft 🙂

Because you already know exactly how the overall scene should run, you end up improving and tweaking ‘less important’ things and coming up with new ideas. I’ve changed entire settings and side characters because of this, besides working out sub-plots a lot, which is much easier while rewriting.

You might get better continuity too because you don’t have to change every little thing that came before it to fit with the new scene.

You can pull up your first draft next to your second and literally copy some sentences and parts word for word, or you can just read a chapter of the first draft before rewriting it. (Which is what I do because I essentially have every scene memorized XD)

It’s honestly less work than I thought, and far easier than drafting since you don’t have to work out any plot holes and decide on stuff.

Besides, I find it an extremely satisfying process. You don’t have the stress of deciding what to keep and what to cut because you already decided it beforehand, and you don’t have the uncertainty and unfinishedness of a first draft. It’s very fun to see it get closer to your vision and be so much better than the first draft.

Anyway, just something I like to do. I’m not saying it’s the only right way, but consider trying it for a few chapters and see what you think 🙂

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest