fb

Reply To: Journals, retrospective, and odd points of view

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Journals, retrospective, and odd points of view Reply To: Journals, retrospective, and odd points of view

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@olivia

Hi Olivia! Thanks for replying! 🙂

I couldn’t help noticing the title and thinking “sounds like it should be from the Mysterious Benedict Society”, and voila! you mentioned it yourself! xD Those books are so good.

LOL, yes! I love those books and the titling is hilarious!

One of the things I enjoy the most about that POV is how the MC (or narrator, basically), can foreshadow and leave hints here and there about what’s going to come next, as a result of them “telling” the story after it happened. I’m really bad at foreshadowing but I love it a ton.

Exactly! I love that too! It gives you really interesting opportunities!!

@r-m-archer

*squints* Were you reading A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan?

Spot on! It’s fairly interesting, albeit not my favorite book ever. (I found the pacing and story structure to be a bit off)  The premise was very cool and I like the point of view.

@joelle-stone

Hi Joelle! Thanks for replying! 🙂

BUT. I am imagining some seriously funny moments where your trademark-snarky characters break the fourth wall and try and correct something you’re saying. XD

That being said, the best thing I can do for you is wish you good luck!!

Thank you! I’m excited about it 🙂

LOL, they’re my trademark now? I blame Liorah XD (They kinda are though. Whether I mean it or not, every narrator becomes snarky XD)

@noah-cochran

Hi Noah! Thanks for replying! 🙂

I am totally unfamiliar with this PoV. xD Could you give an example of this is use?  Would it be like a “I then sat on a chair, and glanced out one of the many windows that had, at that time, seemed flamboyant.”

That kind of retrospection?

Yes, but no. XD It’s like that, but not all of the time. The majority of the book would be written in first-person past tense, with occasional interruptions/comments from the narrator, who is the character in the present. (Which reminds me to make a post about audience awareness as a factor in narrative voices.)

So, it would be like: (to use your example)

“I sat on the chair and glanced out the tall windows at the flamboyant ships beyond. Later, when I was as far from them as I could get, I wouldn’t know whether to remember the memory fondly or dread it.”

Something like that, but it wouldn’t be constantly interrupted. Only about two or three times a chapter. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on your execution.

This is pretty much just first person central, but the way The Moonstone by Willkie Collins is written is pretty neat. There are a bunch of different First Person PoV’s that are compiled as journal entries from different people to show the crime form all its different angles. It’s pretty great.

That’s a very cool format! I haven’t often thought of using something like that, but I think it would be awesome for some books! In some, it’s distracting, in others, it adds to the plot.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest