fb

Reply To: Journals, retrospective, and odd points of view

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Journals, retrospective, and odd points of view Reply To: Journals, retrospective, and odd points of view

Noah Cochran
@noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

first-person retrospective, as though the character themselves are writing the book years after the event in a journal or something of the like.

I am totally unfamiliar with this PoV. xD Could you give an example of this is use?  Would it be like a “I then sat on a chair, and glanced out one of the many windows that had, at that time, seemed flamboyant.”

That kind of retrospection?

I don’t really read odd PoV’s. xD My favorite is third person limited (past tense, not present tense). But I also enjoy first person central. I’ve read third person omniscient in Agatha Christie books, but otherwise I don’t like it that much, it can be done well thought. For the most part, I think sticking with First Person Central or Third Person Limited Past Tense are the best options. But if you want to try something unique, go for it, I’ll look forward to seeing how it turns out. 🙂

This is pretty much just first person central, but the way The Moonstone by Willkie Collins is written is pretty neat. There are a bunch of different First Person PoV’s that are compiled as journal entries from different people to show the crime form all its different angles. It’s pretty great.

Pin It on Pinterest