fb

Reply To: Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone! Reply To: Hello everyone!

Joy C. Woodbury
@joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Besides the Shabbat, some of the other observances we keep that most Christians don’t are the other feasts, (we actually just got out of the High Day season with Feast of Trumpets, Day of Atonement, and Feast of Tabernacles.) and the dietary laws. We don’t follow the mention of separating dairy and meat, because we believe that was based on a misinterpretation, but otherwise, we follow it.

Oh, that’s interesting! Most Adventists actually do not eat meat or dairy because Ellen G. White (our founder and prophetess) warned against it. I rank among the Adventists who take a more relaxed view – I do eat meat, but not very often, and keep the dairy in moderation. I believe Sister White was speaking of her specific times, as back in the 1800s many foods were not safe to eat at all.

On one end you have the Messianics that follow the Oral Torah and still do most of the traditions, on the other end you have the Messianics that are essentially Christian, might still go to church on Sunday for the fellowship besides keeping Shabbat and follow none to few of the traditions and only follow the laws of the Bible.

My family would be far more on the Christian side. We do not follow the Oral Torah, though we have studied it some for context, like you said, Brian. For example, we don’t keep Chanuka or Purim, because they’re not Biblical feasts. (We do have Messianic friends that do, as I said, it differs a lot between people.)

I’m a bit curious about Purim. Doesn’t it have something to do with Queen Esther? XD I don’t know much about the Jewish holidays.

Another common myth is that all Messianic Jews were Jews first, then came to recognize Jesus as the Messiah. This definitely happens, but there are also many Christians who come to recognize that the Mosaic laws are still valid. My family doesn’t have any Jewish heritage. My parents were raised Protestant but later recognized the Mosaic laws.

Ah, I see! Sort of like how many Adventists are raised Mormon, Catholic, etc., but later encounter Adventism and recognize the sacred law of the Bible Sabbath.

Messianics don’t have a centralized church/synagogue. There are many, but they all differ a lot, and many are more like study groups, though there is often a leader that prepares a teaching. I’d say this, and the ‘only following the Bible’ are some of the key reasons why Messianics differ so much. Everyone interprets the commandments differently, so there are many differences of opinion.

This makes sense.

For an example of how a commandment can be interpreted differently, we have friends who believe mushrooms aren’t kosher because they don’t have leaves. (Based on Genisis 9:3) We believe this to be incorrect because of Genisis 1:29 which states that you can eat everything that has seed.

I actually don’t remember reading these specific dietary laws. The ones I remember best are the ones from Leviticus. This is really interesting! I think most Adventists just believe all vegetables are created equal. (Mushrooms are vegetables, right? XD)

Hmm, I’ll share with you a few of the most crucial points of Adventism, besides the Sabbath and emphasis on being prepared for the Second Advent.

The next most crucial point is that Adventists do not believe in the doctrine of eternal hell. We believe that the wicked are destroyed in a single instant from the face of the earth, as God is a God of love and He would not make them suffer for eternity. Of course He is a just God too, but justice is made perfect when the wicked die and remain totally dead. It wouldn’t be justice if they went on living in hell.

Another important point is that Adventists don’t believe in heaven immediately after death. Instead, you stay dead with your soul resting in Jesus until the day He comes to take you to heaven. Then the dead in Christ rise from their graves and those remaining on the earth are caught up to meet them with the Lord in the air.

Next, Adventists believe Ellen G. White was the “spirit of prophecy” spoken of in Revelation 19:10. God gave her many visions during her lifetime and she also did miracles. Each one of her prophecies came true. While she isn’t a divine authority and certainly not equal to the writers of the Bible, she was an anointed prophetess, and her words remain a guide for the church.

Then we believe that the Day of Atonement began on October 22, 1844, when God entered the Most Holy Place of His Temple and began looking through the record books of everyone who has ever lived. Jesus stands before Him, in the place where we should be, and is even now interceding on our behalf. We don’t know when Day of Atonement will be over – when it is, Jesus will come. That’s another reason we put a lot of emphasis on the Second Coming.

As you can probably see, many Adventist beliefs focus on the end times especially. XD

In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river

Pin It on Pinterest