fb

Reply To: Conflict and the End of Fiction

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Conflict and the End of Fiction Reply To: Conflict and the End of Fiction

Buddy J.
@wordsmith

@taylorclogston – Bravo! That was both extremely engaging and highly insightful. The contrast between typical Western structure vs Eastern structure is possibly one that writers should understand better than any other contrast–for in it lies every concept you discussed.

I’ve found that the Western structure hurts my brain, as a writer. It seems overly forceful when I want to lay my story down bit by bit, and asks for answers when I haven’t even considered having questions. If typical Western structure is the most correct way of writing stories, I am essentially lost unless some enlightenment strikes me.

Further, I’ve found a deep satisfaction from typical Eastern structure as employed by Dostoevsky in Brother’s Karamazov and A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles, and Markus Zusak’s The Book Thief.

Not only do I find these stories engaging on a level that many typical Western books fail to engage with me, I also find they expand my ability to perceive and understand through and across contexts more so than structures that lean heavily on the Western mindset.

High respect for you for researching for and writing this article. It was a pleasure to read such a well articulated take on literature and writing.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Buddy J..

Published author, student in writing, works with HazelGracePress.com

Pin It on Pinterest