fb

Reply To: Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone! Reply To: Hello everyone!

Joy C. Woodbury
@joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

And yes! Consistency is key! If half the army is women (Have actually read that) then you need a plausible explanation as to why they deviated from the cultural norm. (Which was established to be all-male armies.)

Exactly. Took the words right outta my mouth. Your “strong” female characters won’t make any strong impact if you just shove them in there to make them “role models” or something. Lol, that’s just very annoying in stories!

I have nothing against sword-swinging warrior ladies in fantasy. (Actually, it’s one of my all-time favorite tropes, as long as it doesn’t stray too far into Not Like Other Girls territory)

Same. I feel like I could give a whole speech on why Not Like Other Girls is the worst trope everrr. Claiming the title of Not Like Other Girls is basically just proving that you’re actually Every Other Girl Who Ever Lived.

I actually recently added a character to my first book and I really, really like her. Her name is Nebiah, she’s Gavril’s love interest, and Liorah’s opposite in most ways. She’s gentle, girly, quite reserved, not particularly strong-willed or intimidating, and has never held a sword in her life.

Now, that’s the perfect setup to use Liorah and Nebiah as foils for each other and make some conflict there, but I decided not to. There’s already plenty of conflict, and they can be foils while they’re friends. Honestly, I’m so happy I made that choice. It makes me so happy to see Liorah and Nebiah (who is basically the representation of “Other girls”) getting along and supporting each other and being awesome together.

Nebiah sounds awesome! I especially love the unique friendship you’re unfolding between her and Liorah. I’m a big believer in the fact that there need to be a billion more close girl friendships in stories. Like you said, women should be supporting one another and not tearing one another down. Just because you’re different doesn’t mean you can’t be friends – and in fact, friends who are different from you in many ways often make the most valuable friendships. It teaches understanding, empathy, and the value of each life God creates. ‘Cause after all, we’re all made in His image and we’re all created as He meant us to be.

Please do! They’re basically legendary in the Netherlands but vastly underrated outside of it! I’m sure you’ll like them!

Awesome! *officially adds to TBR*

Exactly! Villains with the potential to be good are the most interesting! Actually, most of my villains fall into that category XD I was writing a piece about the main villain just a few days ago and it was so weird because the POV character couldn’t quite decide whether she liked him or not. He was kinda intimidating, but not outright pure evil, because the POV character wasn’t a direct enemy of his. I thought it was kinda interesting!

I could not agree more! I think it’s so interesting because I believe God creates all people inherently good – we are His creations and He doesn’t create anything inherently evil. That’s why it takes a lot to tear away one’s ability to have a conscience. That’s not to say there aren’t people who are pure evil and possessed by evil – there are, which is why I believe writers need to portray those too. There are people who have no conscience and do wrong things for no reason. But God still creates everyone in the human race in His image and therefore inherently good. People who are possessed of the devil allowed the devil in themselves.

Sorry if I rambled a bit there. XD On another note, I think it would be really interesting to write a scene with your villain and a character he/she is not directly involved with! It would help you to get another side of the villain’s character – like, is he evil to everyone or does he have a valid-to-him reason he is evil to the protagonist?

I love talking about antagonists. XD They’re often my favorite characters in stories because they’re so complex.

In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river

Pin It on Pinterest