fb

Reply To: Learning by reading

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Learning by reading Reply To: Learning by reading

Arindown (Gracie)
@arindown

@rose-colored-fancy I think this thread is a terrific idea!

I haven’t been reading too much lately, unless you count school textbooks. I’ve learned a ton from my Western Culture textbook so far (about how to world-build and stuff), but…😆

I’ve slowly been working through a re-read of Lord of the Rings. I’ll give them a 6/5 stars.🤩

One thing I’ve really enjoyed is how human Tolkien’s characters are, and I’ve been especially been paying attention to how he does relationships between characters (romantic and non-romantic). I’ll fight anyone over the fact that Tolkien has two of the best buddy, I’d-die-for-you-bro teams in writing history (Sam and Frodo. And Legolas and Gimli). Especially in our culture, if you’re not careful, even normal relationships can be mis-read to be something “more,” so I’m trying to take tips from Tolkien.

The other book I read lately was The Spy by James Fenimore Cooper. I’ll give it 4/5 stars. (@noah-cochran I feel like you would really like books by this author).

I felt the ending didn’t get tied up properly, but the rest made up for it. The biggest thing I noticed about this book was how funny it was. Something modern authors seem to have lost is the ability to be clever or even funny in their prose. The writing was just more intelligent than what is trending now-days.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Pin It on Pinterest