fb

Reply To: Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone! Reply To: Hello everyone!

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Of course! You can find it here: Discipleship With Joy

I checked it out, I love it! I’ll totally be following you! I love your website design, it’s really cool! I took the quiz, and apparently, I’m Paul! Also, I started making a quiz for my characters via that website, which is really fun XD

I know! I’ve never met any villain in literature quite like him. His inner turmoil when his lie is revealed to him in plain sight is simply chilling.

Wowww, that sounds so cool!

I think most villains like Conner are hungry for power, not interested in what’s good for the people. That’s usually how it is with antagonists who seem like they want to help everyone out, but turns out that’s just a façade in order to gain everything for themselves.

The cool thing is that we’ll never know! There was a short story from his POV and I still don’t know! It made him a lot more interesting, though I do think you might be right 🙂

I’ll have to check those out! I haven’t seen the Netflix series either, but I can imagine what you’re talking about. I get so mad when TV series or movies ruin amazing books. XD

Ugh, YES! I haven’t seen the series, but I saw a few clips and read about it. They completely messed it up in a hundred ways and lost the entire essence of the story. They tried to make it more modern and grittier, which kinda defeated the purpose?

It was written in the 60’s so it’s kinda ‘old-fashioned’ (which I like, despite the fact that I’d appreciate more female characters.) and they tried to pull in politics and social issues, which totally didn’t work.

And a large aspect was that the MC, Tiuri, had a lot to lose. He and his family were one of the greatest chivalric families and he kind of labors under the weight and knows that he’s going to lose all of it doing what’s right and struggles with loneliness and discouragement underway. And they threw all of that out of the window, added Strong Female Characters (TM) Power of Friendship (TM) and Underdog Power (TM). And… good grief, I’m all for female characters, but it’s grossly historically inaccurate and unrealistic to have female knights! It just doesn’t work! It defeated the entire purpose and UGHH!

And a large part of the book was about “The world is inherently good and we need to protect it” so making it darker and grittier and turning all the good characters into traitors and morally gray characters defeats the entire point!!

I mean, the book was even specifically world-built to be light and beautiful! It’s one of those books that I’d 100% live in. It’s so beautiful and amazing and you’re just rooting for it to be saved and I just want to go there! And the few clips from the series I’ve seen everything is gray and dark and dead. 

Just… ughughugh. It makes me so mad because the books were glorious! I really recommend them, they were some of the first fantasy books I read and they’re still special 🙂 They were originally in Dutch (The Dutch version is slightly better, especially the second book) but the translation is really good too!

It’s just really interesting to see how a person can start off so sensitive and even loving, and then descend into utter madness and just horrific and cruel acts.

Wow, that sounds so interesting! That sounds really cool! It’s such an interesting character arc!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest