fb

Reply To: Learning by reading

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Learning by reading Reply To: Learning by reading

Bethania Gauterius
@sparrowhawke

Well I don’t have the time nor the inclination to respond to y’all’s comments (look at me using y’all–I hope I did it correctly) but I agree with ’em.

Unfortunately haven’t done as much reading recently as I’d like, and the reading I have done has been mediocre, but here goes.

Chaotic Good by Whitney Gardner (1.5/5)

Insta-love is the dumbest thing ever and if you’re going to include a D&D campaign in your story, please make it interesting and understandable and not just about how cute the DM’s face is.

I do not recommend. In my defense, I read this book for WIP genre/story research purposes.

Any novel by Gary D. Schmidt (4-5/5)

What is not said is just as important as what is, character voice is everything, repeating phrases that have different meanings in different contexts but that always kick you in the feels are the best.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Currently reading this tome for school, but lemme just say, I love Tolstoy’s simple, third-person omniscient prose! It seems like Russian prose is very simple and I absolutely love it.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (4.5/5)

This is excellent Christian fiction in my opinion. Pretty much everyone in this story does not have the right perspective to the issue–some are too harsh, others are too lenient. I love that conflict of views.

Just don’t write sentences like Hawthorne does or start your story with a forty-page info dumpy prologue that could’ve been reduced to five pages.

that’s all i’ve got for now

oh, and Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens has some great prose and chapter titles

"For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust." - Psalm 103:14

Pin It on Pinterest