fb

Reply To: Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone! Reply To: Hello everyone!

Joy C. Woodbury
@joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

Incredibly weird is the only way to describe it XD Several things I have either said or thought while translating myths “He turned her into a what?” “I mean, I guess turning into a tree is one way to handle the situation.” “Wow, that’s gory.” “Did we really need the descriptions of every single dog? Really?” *While reading Icarus* “Splash, I guess.”

XD Mythology is so weird. Honestly, I can’t get over how weird it is. 😂😂

And cows only sleep twenty minutes a day, and calves are way stronger than you think they are and they try to knock the bucket out of your hands and they try to suck your fingers if they’re little enough which is both adorable and disgusting XD

Calves are cute, but yeah, they can get vicious!

Oh, you have a blog? That’s awesome! What’s the URL? I’d love to read it if that’s okay!

Of course! You can find it here: Discipleship With Joy

Wow, Javert sounds amazing! That’s so complex and interesting!

I know! I’ve never met any villain in literature quite like him. His inner turmoil when his lie is revealed to him in plain sight is simply chilling. Valjean gives him undeniable evidence that redemption is a real thing when he saves Javert’s life at the barricades. He has the perfect opportunity to execute Javert and put an end to the man who has persecuted him for years, but instead he sets Javert free. The inspector literally turns around and shouts, “You irritate me. Kill me instead.” But Valjean insists on sparing him, and Javert finds himself grappling with his duty to the law and his hesitation to turn in the man who saved his life. Since he can’t face the fact he was believing a lie all along, he throws himself into the Seine. It’s such a chilling scene.

I think… Conner from the False Prince series. He was a spectacular villain because he was so complicated. He nearly had me convinced that he was right a couple times.

I think most villains like Conner are hungry for power, not interested in what’s good for the people. That’s usually how it is with antagonists who seem like they want to help everyone out, but turns out that’s just a façade in order to gain everything for themselves.

Oh, another one is Prince Viridian from Letter For the King and Secrets of the Wild Wood. (Not the Netflix series, the books! They messed those books up again!) He was awesome because he… kinda seemed right. That was a spectacular use of foils. Man, I love those books!

I’ll have to check those out! I haven’t seen the Netflix series either, but I can imagine what you’re talking about. I get so mad when TV series or movies ruin amazing books. XD

Oh! I just thought of another villain I find super interesting – Archdeacon Dom Claude Frollo from Victor Hugo’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame. (Not Claude Frollo from the Disney animation, though, lol. His character in the animation is completely different from his character in the book.)

Claude Frollo is such a compelling villain because he actually starts off as being extremely kind, selfless, and compassionate. His parents die from the plague when he is a young man, leaving a baby brother, Jehan. Claude adopts Jehan, loves him deeply, and tries to raise him to become a godly and studious man. A few years later, he comes across a deformed child who has been abandoned (this is the hunchback). The others in the crowd call the child horrible names and say that he deserves to die. But Claude has compassion on the child and adopts him because he doesn’t want him to be abandoned. He calls him Quasimodo and raises him as his own.

But both Jehan and Quasimodo end up being disappointments. Jehan grows up to be reckless and cavalier and only comes to see Claude when he wants money. Quasimodo goes deaf and is unable to learn. His bitter disappointment in his two adopted children causes Claude to become obsessed with certain studies and eventually turn to witchcraft as a result. He becomes a sorcerer and a horrible person. He becomes obsessed with a gypsy girl, Esmeralda, and will stop at nothing to get her for himself, turning to murder and causing her execution at the end of the book.

What’s interesting is that Quasimodo actually really loves his adoptive father throughout the novel because Claude is the only one to show kindness to him. But he’s the one who throws Claude off the tower of Notre Dame at the end.

It’s just really interesting to see how a person can start off so sensitive and even loving, and then descend into utter madness and just horrific and cruel acts.

In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river

Pin It on Pinterest