fb

Reply To: Controversial Opinion: “Reading makes your writing better” is bad advice

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Controversial Opinion: “Reading makes your writing better” is bad advice Reply To: Controversial Opinion: “Reading makes your writing better” is bad advice

Noah Cochran
@noah-cochran

@this-is-not-an-alien

Cathy my friend, you could cook a cow with that tongue of yours. šŸ˜… šŸ¤­ Perhaps you could be a tad less…forceful next time. šŸ˜‰

Don’t take any offence from this young lady’s rather…violent tongue @lrc and @shannon. I must admit though, the way you began your rant, Cathy, was quite amusing. šŸ™‚

Okay, so I don’t know if you read my comment or not Cathy, but I agree with you. However, some of the things you said we don’t quite agree on, so I figured I would respond to you and take some of the pressure off the two people you just grilled like slabs of meat.

Ahhh the gall. The heart of this argument is vanity; no true lover of a craft would ever call themselves more than an eternal beginner.

I highly disagree with this, but I’ll let you be the one to use violent language. šŸ˜‰ So, I definitely think there is such as thing as a beginner, and such as thing as a professional. Can professionals continue to learn and improve? Absolutely, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a vast difference between a pro and a amateur. The amount of research they have done, the skill and speed at which they write, and the amount they have written are all factor that play into whether a writer is a beginner or not. Also, their argument had nothing to do with vanity, I believe you construed their reasons in quite the wrong way. Their reasons were along the lines of they don’t like the pressure to read, they don’t think it improves them much at all(not because they’re vain, because they don’t see the value it adds, trust me, they don’t consider themselves pros by any means), and they think it distracts them. I disagree with these reasons, but it has nothing to do with vanity. Also, I’m not sure your prayer and law analogies were that applicable. šŸ™‚

In regard to compulsion to read, you’re slightly talking out of both sides of your mouth. You say you should read, but you also say you should only do it if you enjoy it and it doesn’t take discipline. In this technology age, the ability to sit down and read for 2+ hours straight without being distracted or running out of time because one wasted it on online, is getting harder for people. So I have two thoughts: One, if one is a writer, than one should enjoy reading to an extent. Two, if it takes some compulsion sometimes, then so be it, because breaking technology addictions to sit and read often does take some compulsion. So essentially what I am saying, is some compulsion is fine with me.

You made the comment that quote “you cannot write without reading.” As I said, I agree with your view as a whole, but I might disagree with that statement. If you haven’t read very many books, than yes, you’re going to be a bad writer. But what @LRC and @shannon were saying was that they felt they had read enough and it didn’t help them anymore. Now, I disagree with them, I think it still can help them (read my comment for why), but I wouldn’t say you can’t write if you don’t read. Pick a big name author, if that author never read again, I believe they could still put out great books with little difficulty. I’m not sure if that was what you meant (that you have to read forever to write), but I just wanted to mention it.

Iā€™m Catholic btw! Fight me LOL!

I’m game to discuss theology with you, I quite it enjoy it. However, I would rather it be a friendly discussion than a fight. šŸ˜‰ šŸ™‚

Pin It on Pinterest