fb

Reply To: Hey guys!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hey guys! Reply To: Hey guys!

Brian Stansell
@obrian-of-the-surface-world

@calidris , my wife’s name is Olga, and she told me that they lived in fear that the American’s were going to bomb them, so they conducted military drills at school and even showed me pictures of her with a practice rifle.  The soviet government scared them out of their wits about the evils of the decadent west.  But, at the same time, we were seeing nuclear proliferation and the soviets sparring with some of our pilots in international fly zones.  They conducted war games as a sign of military threat with submarines, and they were constantly enriching Uranium and testing, yet they were rapidly running out of money, because…well…the Communist model only produces widgets according to the projections of the state and had no market principles of supply and demand like the capitalism did.  The result was the people had a bunch of what they didn’t want and kept producing more of it, yet they had a scarcity of what they wanted and needed.  Each time these inequities would be addressed, the state overcorrected.  It offered no personal incentives and expected people to just produce and function for the good of the machine, with little or no personal value or desires.  Mediocrity was rewarded and so that was what most of their society did just to appease the state.  It never dealt with humans as they are.  It held forth some utopian ideals but never treated the person as important enough to try to be better.  The Soviet Union ultimately capitulated in the Cold War because they could not outproduce the west in the arms race, or match its ingenuity or technology.
One advantage the Soviets had over America was that they were generally a moral society, and were far more strict about what they allowed on TV or radio.
America did have some bad points, but there were many great points and people in American history who were devote Christians and did amazing and inspiring feats because they were blessed by God.  I would invite you to check out David Barton’s books and the Wallbuilders organization which has one of the largest collections of historical documents about American History in the world.  We do have some parts of our history and federal actions that were cruel and need repentance, but that is not the whole picture.  Seek out the good too.  Phillippians 4:8.  My wife and I have made a point to personally visit many historical sites in our nation’s history and read the real documents and the words of the men and women who lived in those periods.  Be wary of agendas that wish to mischaracterize events or cast them unfairly under a critical judgment of hindsight without contemporary context.
Revisionist historians are fiction writers who are too often untrustworthy and base their findings on their own opinions rather than seeking corroboration.  Scripture provides a good research method here in both the OT and the NT:
15 “You must not convict anyone of a crime on the testimony of only one witness. The facts of the case must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses. [Deuteronomy 19:15 NLT]
1 This is the third time I am coming to visit you (and as the Scriptures say, “The facts of every case must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses”). [2 Corinthians 13:1 NLT]

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
I was born in war.
Fighting from my first breath.

Pin It on Pinterest