fb

Reply To: Apt Words for Writing Descriptions

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Apt Words for Writing Descriptions Reply To: Apt Words for Writing Descriptions

Noah Cochran
@noah-cochran

@obrian-of-the-surface-world

Hey Brian, that is quite an extensive list, thanks man! I’ll be trying to incorporate those in appropriate descriptions. 🙂

@rose-colored-fancy

Hey Rose, I’m glad it’s nice to see me again. xD

Looking at your examples of using motion in descriptions and trying to utilize verbs, I’ll I can say is that is a great point. That description of the dress by using verbs was fantastic, and I even liked the melodramatic one. One always has to have those flouncing dresses. 😉 xD I already had this tip of describing movement written down, but I hadn’t thought of it in relation to physical descriptions.

Though, now that I think about it, I kinda already use it. For instance, I wouldn’t ever write: The large, high-backed chair had curving lines.

Instead I would write: The large chair’s high back rose up like an intricate wall, and sinuous swirls ran down the polished limbs.

Thanks for the once again sound advice! From what I’ve seen of your writing, I definitely think you’re skilled enough to self-publish a book, but that’s up to you of course. But if you ever need an alpha or beta reader for that purpose, I might be interested. 🙂

Pin It on Pinterest