fb

Reply To: Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone! Reply To: Hello everyone!

Joy C. Woodbury
@joy-caroline

@rose-colored-fancy

That’s so cool that Paul decided to teach her that! I’m actually just waiting for someone to point out that the literacy rate of my medieval characters is shockingly high. Ahaha, I have an entire essay on how literacy was actually way higher than we thought, almost 50%! (And the evidence we had that peasants did read and write) And since one of my characters is a scribe, and two others are royal, that’s a good explanation. XD

Yeah, I thought it’d be a cool detail if he decided his sister should be literate. XD

Wow, really? I always had the idea that like 99% of people in the middle ages had no idea how to read or write. Well, maybe 99% of peasants. The royals and scribes I thought probably did, except for women, but I’m not sure if women could be scribes? I don’t know much about medieval times, but it was definitely an interesting era!

The main villain for the series, Hakan, is the king of an enemy tribe. His motivation is that his wife was killed in a war and he’s determined to make sure that there’ll never be another civil war. Mostly by causing one. Yeah, nobody else gets it either, but it makes sense to him. He’s very long-term focused, so he’ll willingly cause one war if it means there’ll be peace after that. He’s thoroughly messed up since he’s absolutely convinced that he’s the hero and the actual heroes are the villains.

Eeek, he sounds intense! And freaky. XD He’s gonna be an interesting character to figure out, since as you said, you don’t know him that well yet. I have another character in TAS that’s sort of antagonistic (she’s the one whose brother was murdered by Paul), and I’m trying to figure her out. Maybe I’ll use tonight’s writing time to make a character profile for her.

Have you ever written an antagonistic character you actually DON’T hate, but kinda love? XD This is the kind of character she will be. I’m actually using her to create conflict in readers, providing them with a balanced view in regards to Paul. Also that she and Temira are parallel characters.

One of my future characters (The lighthousekeeper’s daughter, if you remember her) is actually a seamstress, so that’ll be fun!

The best thing is you’ll know all your facts exactly and won’t have to do tons of research. XD

Is Faye the character I relate to the most and the one that I project all my awkwardness and anxiety onto? NooOO, neVeR! Why would you think such a thing? XD

*sheepish laughter* Temira is actually the character from TAS I relate to the most, and I project TONS of my issues onto her. It ain’t so uncommon. *more sheepish laughter*

LOL, YouTube is a lifesaver there! I usually look up both videos of experienced people playing it, and videos of beginners or instructional videos, just enough to get a feel for how the instrument works. It gives you a bunch of little details you can add that make it feel much more real!

Ooh, I should look up some lyre vids on YouTube! I really should consider having just one more musical scene. That’s a great tip, thanks!

I’d say the rebab is close to a violin, except it’s held vertically, only has two or three strings and the tension of the bow is regulated manually by pulling it tighter or looser.

It did look a bit like a violin. But violins look a little like guitars, at least to me. XD I do not have much expertise in the realm of music.

LOL, that was totally based on personal experience XD I find it especially amusing that Liorah has an awful voice and makes that everyone else’s problem by loudly singing entirely off-key whenever she likes XD I wish I had her confidence. XD

I do that sometimes with my school friends, just to kid around. XD But I do wish I had an actually good singing voice! XD

That’s awesome! How many novels have you written (or started)? How are you planning to publish, traditionally or self-publishing?

So I started writing when I was four technically, but I usually tell people around seven or eight ’cause that’s when I started writing novels. Before then it was just short stories. My novels were always exactly 200 pages long, since I bought those college-ruled notebooks to write in, lol. I’d say I wrote about forty of those. The ones I was proudest of was a six-book series… literally about the characters in MarioKart. So just a fanfic, I guess. XD Besides that series (which I called Adventures on the Island), everything I wrote was about girls of around eleven or ten living in 1800s Anne of Green Gables towns. XD Then I wrote sequels where they met awesome dudes and got married. XD

The longest novel I ever wrote was 400 pages, which I penned when I was around thirteen. It wasn’t focused on God though, so I don’t have it anymore.

I’m not completely decided between traditional or self publishing. I always thought it would be traditional, but then I actually did research on that route. The main thing holding me back is that I’ve heard the publisher has the final say on changes to your novel, and you could get an editor who doesn’t agree with you on what the final product should be. So you could end up with your novel completely changed from how you wanted. My goal with TAS is to write what God leads me to, not what an editor or publisher wants. So I’ve actually started seriously considering self publishing. I’m not yet sure which way God wants me to go, so I’m basically waiting to see where He takes me!

In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river

Pin It on Pinterest