fb

Reply To: Hello everyone!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Hello everyone! Reply To: Hello everyone!

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@joy-caroline

Ooh, AWESOME! I think it’s cool how you figure out your characters’ favorite colors. I literally know no one’s favorite color except Temira’s. I guess Paul might be a blue person…? Idk. XD That subject doesn’t come up much in Biblical fiction. I don’t think I ever mention anyone’s fave color.

Oh, I never mention it either, but for some reason, I just know that’s their favorite colors XD It’s actually really funny, when I finished the first draft, I knew nothing about my characters except their roles and some vague personality traits. Now, I could recognize any of my characters by their handwriting. Barely an exaggeration XD

Liorah has extremely messy scrawly handwriting, Gavril’s is more cursive than you’d expect but very neat and legible. Faye either writes very neatly or so illegible she can’t even decipher it herself. Sahar is the kind of person who dots her i’s with hearts or smiley faces and puts in unnecessary loops in weird places. Wait, why do I know all this? This is getting out of hand. XD

Oh, dear. I guess they do have those sharp beaks.

Admittedly, I just wanted to embarrass her XD I love her with a kind of horrified fascination. She’s one of the most interesting characters I’ve ever written and she gets like five scenes. XD She’s intriguing and definitely has some good in her, but she’s gotten extremely traumatized and messed up and completely denies the truth in every circumstance because she can’t bear it. She’s a fascinating villain.

Wow! How do you do your digital art? Is there a program you use? I’ve been wanting to get into that.

That’s awesome! I use Krita, which is a free PC program you can download on Krita. org  I love it with my whole heart and can’t recommend it enough. It has all the art features of Photoshop and is actually more intuitive and easier to use. And, it’s completely free and regularly updated and debugged.

If you have an Ipad, I’ve seen many artists sing the praises of Procreate. Instead, I use a drawing tablet, which is way cheaper. It just plugs into the computer and functions to move the cursor. (I don’t know how else to explain it XD)

I use the Wacom Intuos. (One of the smaller sizes.) If you’re looking for one of those, you have to make sure it’s pressure-sensitive. That’s how you get variation in brushes. It’s next to impossible to draw with a mouse. (Trust me, I’ve tried XD)

You can find lots of digital tutorials online that’ll show you the basics of digital art!

Horse-riding sounds like so much fun! I don’t know how, sadly. I don’t know how to sew, either, although I tried to learn when I was younger. I have a cousin who is a beautiful seamstress. She used to make me dresses and things when I was little, then miniature clothes for my dolls.

That’s such a nice memory! I’ve found I’ve incorporated a lot of my sewing skills into my writing, in a kind of weird way XD I do find myself regularly thinking about how the pattern pieces would fit together for this dress my character is wearing or which seams could have pockets or how this or that fabric drapes XD

And the horse riding is all over my manuscript, from center to circumference XD Most of my characters know something about horse riding (It’s a medieval desert, they need some method of transportation XD) But Liorah and Gavril are especially skilled.

Their tribe uses cavalry a lot more than others, and they both have horse sidekicks. XD (Not very subtly based on my own horses. XD) To have some fun with that, I also made Liorah excellent at trick riding, which makes for some very cool fight scenes. (And it horrifies the other characters, especially Faye who is timid around an animal larger than a cat.) Gavril is mentioned to be good at it too, but he doesn’t actually do it on-screen, as far as I remember.

Ooh, then you might be interested to know that in my book, Paul is quite skilled with a lyre. XD I don’t know why, I just decided it would be fun to give him a musical talent. What’s funny is that Temira also happens to be musically inclined – she has a beautiful singing voice.

Ooh, that’s very cool! I know next to nothing about the lyre.

Every time I’ve heard one I got mildly horrified because it sounds like a harp that’s rattling. XD It’s a beautiful instrument, it’s just unlike anything I’m used to and I’ve gotten used to detecting rattling while playing. (Basically, what happens when you get interference from your other fingers, or if your levers aren’t correct. It just gives a faint buzz.)

You also have a more limited range with the lyre. Or you might just have to retune more often? I don’t know, actually 🙂 The key difference I hear is that a lyre sounds… stringier? It sounds like a harp played close to the soundbox or a cross between a harp and a guitar. It’s a very cool sound!

It’s so cool that both Tamira and Paul are musical! That’s such an awesome thing for them to share! Sahar is the only musical one of my group. She has a lovely singing voice and she plays a string instrument called a rebab. Liorah is probably the least musical one, her singing voice is kind of a running joke. XD

Oh, I’ve been thinking about your WIP, (Quite a lot, actually. It’s just a really cool premise XD) I was curious to know which interpretation of Paul’s trade you chose, the tent-maker one or the tallit-maker one. Both are technically correct since we don’t have any more details to go on and it’s just different translations of the same word. Still, I was curious 😉

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest