fb

Reply To: How do I prevent outlining from becoming a creativity killer?

Forums Fiction Plotting How do I prevent outlining from becoming a creativity killer? Reply To: How do I prevent outlining from becoming a creativity killer?

Ashley Tegart
@ashley-tegart

Hi, Natalie!

I do pretty extensive outlining and planning before I start drafting (as in, multi-page outlines and synopses after filling part of a notebook with various notes). I’m also not one who finds the rough drafting process very fun; rather, I find it unbelievably stressful (because it’s the most time-consuming stage of the process for me and where I’m most likely to have a “my writing is awful and I’ll never finish a story ever again” crisis). I love outlining, slog through rough drafting, and love revising.

My issue isn’t so much that outlining makes drafting feel un-creative, but rather I find rough drafting stressful. But here’s my advice for making the rough draft more fun. 🙂

-I’ve found the creative storytelling process to be more than just plot, character arcs, etc. There’s also the creative process of choosing what words to put on the page, creating atmosphere, developing author voice, and figuring out not just what happens but how it happens. I may write in my outline “Character X talks to character Y and learns Z information”, but part of the fun is also in the details of how the conversation between the two characters flows. (I typed this out then saw the previous comment included something similar!)

-When I’m doing dishes, in the car, etc and thinking about upcoming scenes in my WIP, I like to listen to music that is very thematic. That helps me reflect more on my upcoming scenes, which makes me more excited to get them on paper.

-Pen and paper is a life-saver for me. I do most of my brainstorming and outlining on paper. When I’m unmotivated to write a particular scene, I’ll also write it with pen and paper. Finding a nice notebook and pen (I have a fountain pen I love writing with) somehow makes everything more enjoyable for me! 🙂

I hope this helps, and have fun writing!

Pin It on Pinterest