fb

Reply To: How do you come up with story ideas?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions How do you come up with story ideas? Reply To: How do you come up with story ideas?

Brian Stansell
@obrian-of-the-surface-world

@joy-caroline

Hi Joy,
I couldn’t agree more.  The Scriptures are the basis of all human experience. In them you can find every nuance of the human person represented, from the struggling faithful, to the person who felt abandoned by all, to the apathetic and blindly reaching masses, to the compromised pretenders, to the guilt-ridden seeking forgiveness, to the arrogant villainous power-seeker, to the reveling and unrepentant pagan.  If you are ever stuck with a character’s motivations, search the Scriptures to find a human equivalent and read the context of their story you find there.  It illumines us personally but it also gives us insight where we and others may get clouded in the muck of humanity’s fallen-state irrationality.  Even fictional constructs of non-human characters are filtered through our own understanding of humanity and must have attributes of humanity that allows readers to have a reference point of who or what they are.  Any animal story is anthropomorphized, to all human readers to relate to the animal characters.

All created beings also have the fingerprint of The Creator on them, so God Himself, Who Purposed all creation, has a reason for being in everything both microscopic and macroscopic in the unseen and seen universe.  (Col. 1:16) Everything clarifies by first discovering His Purposes, and then moving into “their” purposes. (Rev. 4:11)

In the account of Jesus’s appearance to the two men on their walk to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-31), Jesus explains to them (vs. 27) how His-story was embedded in the scriptures. (John 5:39&45-47, Psa. 40:7 & Heb. 10:7)

The stories of the bible are life-changing because God know they were all related to our human experience in all times.

In this way, God Himself can help guide you in your creative expressions of characters too.

May the Lord bless your gifts and may you be deepened in the discovery journey as He walks with you through it!

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
I was born in war.
Fighting from my first breath.

Pin It on Pinterest