fb

Reply To: How do you come up with story ideas?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions How do you come up with story ideas? Reply To: How do you come up with story ideas?

Brian Stansell
@obrian-of-the-surface-world

@joy-caroline

Hi Joy,

One can never really tell what might inspire an idea, so the best advice I can give is to be open to input and let the Lord lead you to it. There is something so powerful in finding something that God directs you to. Oftentimes, it may even be assessing what topics and ideas pique your interest and sustainably so.

Sometimes it can be a picture that sort of draws you into it, or even an odd mental image.  C.S. Lewis had the image of a faun carrying parcels in a snowy wood, near an iron lamppost and that was the catalyst to writing the Narnia books.  Aslan, sort of, leaped out onto the page, because his character came with the images as Lewis began to ask himself questions about the images.

Sometimes in my own writing, when I get stuck, I go to Pixabay and search through images there and sometimes hit upon one that gives me a set of questions and ideas.

Here’s an example of one of those images that became part of my WIP.

Link: Sword in shadowy grove image

This image helped me write Chapter 14 – “The Shibboleth and The Sword” of my WIP – Excavatia: From Dust Arise, and I paired it with something from the strange biblical story of Jephthah and the Ephraimites in Judges 12:1-7, and how they used a speech impediment to root out spies.
In this instance, both some biblical knowledge and an image linked in my mind to resolve an issue of a hidden spy within my story.
You are welcome to check out that Chapter on my online novel if you are interested. You’ll find the link to the TOC of it in my profile here on Story Embers.  The Chapter even has this image at the beginning.

Just pray, ask and be open to what God calls your attention to. He knows your heart, gifts, and the unique way He will express Himself through those gifts.
If you find a passion linked to an idea, it is most likely something the Lord wants you to explore. Hold to 1 Thessalonians 5:24.
May your thoughts and inspirations seek His Glory.
Have a blessed evening.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
I was born in war.
Fighting from my first breath.

Pin It on Pinterest