fb

Reply To: Writing Descriptions

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Writing Descriptions Reply To: Writing Descriptions

Rose
@rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Okay, fourth time’s the charm. I’m going to take out the links and see if they’re causing the problem.

Wait, so you study life during the middle ages? Have you read the Frances Gies books? What sources do you use? Or were you just saying you study women’s hair styles through history? xD

Both, actually 😉 I have done a lot of research about historical hairstyles and fashion, (I think it’s fascinating) but I also study other aspects. No, I haven’t heard of those! I’ll have to check it out!

In regard to women wearing their hair loose, I did know that is was more common by far for them to wear it in braids or piled around or on top of their head. However, I had thought that many of the poorer classes often (or at least once in a while) had their hair loose, or loose mixed with braids, and once in a while the wealthy class did too. But I could very well be wrong, I have not studied this specifically. I’ll look into it. If you’re right, I’m going to be disappointed.  xD I have always thought women having their hair loose and flowing/wavy to be one of the more beautiful ways they could have it, so I was wanting this character to have her hair that way (or at least a mix of braids and loose).

I’ve done some more research and to summarize, she might possibly wear her hair loose. Maybe. But it would be unusual, and impractical.
Speaking from personal experience, loose hair flies into your face, gets caught in things, and gets tangled and frizzy very easily, especially when you’re outside or doing anything active.

Sure, it’s pretty when it’s loose, but Delphine was traveling so looking pretty was probably low on the priority list, definitely below comfort.

Taking personal experience and historical sources into consideration, Delphine would probably wear her hair up. The style where they braided their hair into two braids, crossed it in front, and sewed it in place is comfortable, secure, and relatively easy to do by yourself. It would probably be sewed in place with ribbons, a practice called hair taping. Elastics weren’t invented yet, and this was the most secure and fastest way.

Now, I understand if you do want to have a cinematic, dramatic slow-motion hair flip moment. (We writers do enjoy drama XD) Maybe if they’re meeting Tristan’s father, she might take it down if it’s indoors and for a short period of time. (You do have to remember that taking down a hairstyle like that isn’t just pulling off the ribbon. After wearing it braided all day, it’ll be frizzy and crimpy and it’ll look like a lion’s mane until she’s brushed it.)

And even then, she might get some raised eyebrows. As the articles above mention, hair was viewed very differently in the medieval era.

I get that this is a lot of information. I’m writing historical fantasy, and I’m not bothering much with detailed research until the second draft, otherwise, I’ll never get anything written.

Also, you have to check your sources if you do read articles. If they show medieval illustrations or texts, it’s probably accurate, but many people see fantasy hairstyles and medieval hairstyles as the same thing. They’re really not.

Anyway, hope this helped. If an author mentions hair-taping in historical fiction, I’m immediately impressed 🙂

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Pin It on Pinterest